What's this hole for?

-

lsrguy2007

Reaction score
I'm restoring a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport and I found an OEM mirror for the passengers side door. There's a large hole in the gasket for the mirror and the drivers side door has the same hole in its gasket and the door where the mirror mounts. Anyone know why the hole is in the door and why it's there. Thanks.

IMG_20240628_105020106.jpg

Three cables for a remote drivers side mirror... The mirror you have is the "base" model mirror without remote control, it doesn't use the hole but the gasket is used across all mirror designs

I'm restoring a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport and I found an OEM mirror for the passengers side door. There's a large hole in the gasket for the mirror and the drivers side door has the same hole in its gasket and the door where the mirror mounts. Anyone know why the hole is in the door and why it's there. Thanks.

View attachment 1716269611
As stated above

Ok. I don't have remote control and don't plan on putting it in. I guess I don't need to drill the large hole on the passengers side?
Nope....just drill the one for the stud, and a smaller one for the screw. Be careful when you reach up into the door to start the nut on the stud. You'll be blindly feeling for the right spot, and if that little sliver that always hangs on when you drill a hole in sheet metal is point just right...it will drag a hunk out of your finger! :BangHead:

Nope....just drill the one for the stud, and a smaller one for the screw. Be careful when you reach up into the door to start the nut on the stud. You'll be blindly feeling for the right spot, and if that little sliver that always hangs on when you drill a hole in sheet metal is point just right...it will drag a hunk out of your finger! :BangHead:
you've done that too, lol.

-
Back