Whats working for stroker oil pump?

-

swinger340

Reaction score
Curious if HV or std oil pumps are being used in strokers. Have a .030 over 340 block im going to build a 416 out of. Have done bunch of oiling mods. ARP main studs w girdle. Going to be running a solid flat tappit cam and a Kevko pan. Not sure if high volume pump is needed for an engine that will only be turning 6000 RPM. What is working?

I don't see where a stroker has any more oiling needs than a non stroker.

With the lower RPM's of a stroker probably less oiling needs.

I did a few oiling mods to my stroker but that's just because I take the car on Road Race courses with high speed corner and sustained RPM's. In the past with my 340, I've pulled the oil out of the stock pan during the high G loading corners. The hydraulic lifter collapsed for about 1/2 hour. I think the oil got foamed over. My new Milodon gated road race oil pan has taken care of that issue on my new stroker motor.

But I did match and smooth all the oil ports, bearing feeds, and oil drainback areas. I ran a HV oil pump because I had it. I probably didn't need it. But now my oil pan can feed that HV pump with extra oil capacity and extra ability to hold and control the oil in the sump.

IMHO, the proper Milodon oil pan took care of 99% of my issues.

Attachments

• MilodonSBRoadRacePan14a.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 374
swinger340, sounds almost exactly like my shortblock. I'll be running a M72HV hi-volume melling pump. The guy I got my shortblock off of had all the oiling mods, etc already done to it, and he included the moroso pan/pickup and a melling pump. He told me what the oil pressure was, etc with that pump, and he was running hi-9s/low 10s. To me, it seems perfect for my engine. I've always used that pump, in almost every engine I've done. Like autoxcuda said, I think most of the oiling problems have to do with the pan, and oil control, rather than volume and pressure. Just my opinion!

I have spun rod bearings in higher reving 340s w/ a HV pump and stock 4 qt pan with no baffles. I believe that was all due to oil control, or lack there of. Usually # 5 rod bearing for what ever reason. I have picked up 3 340s w that same # 5 spun.

I don't see where a stroker has any more oiling needs than a non stroker.

With the lower RPM's of a stroker probably less oiling needs.

I did a few oiling mods to my stroker but that's just because I take the car on Road Race courses with high speed corner and sustained RPM's. In the past with my 340, I've pulled the oil out of the stock pan during the high G loading corners. The hydraulic lifter collapsed for about 1/2 hour. I think the oil got foamed over. My new Milodon gated road race oil pan has taken care of that issue on my new stroker motor.

But I did match and smooth all the oil ports, bearing feeds, and oil drainback areas. I ran a HV oil pump because I had it. I probably didn't need it. But now my oil pan can feed that HV pump with extra oil capacity and extra ability to hold and control the oil in the sump.

IMHO, the proper Milodon oil pan took care of 99% of my issues.

Will this pan fit in a 69 V-8 K frame w/o altering? Original 340 4 gear car and I don't really want to alter it all that much. That is why I was leaning towards Kevko.

I have spun rod bearings in higher reving 340s w/ a HV pump and stock 4 qt pan with no baffles. I believe that was all due to oil control, or lack there of. Usually # 5 rod bearing for what ever reason. I have picked up 3 340s w that same # 5 spun.

Milodon said that the small block oil pan has a very short rear sump wall. That allows oil to spill backwards out of the sump pickup under hard acceleration. Chrysler did this because the rear of the pan needed to be lower to clear the oil pump. Solution is to lower the sump down or make a cutout in the middle of the pan to increase the rear sump wall height. Also to install shelf or dam at the rear of the sump.

Here's the cutout in the middle with the rear section stock height to clear the oil pump.

Attachments

• MilodonSBRoadRacePan06.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 351
Will this pan fit in a 69 V-8 K frame w/o altering? Original 340 4 gear car and I don't really want to alter it all that much. That is why I was leaning towards Kevko.

Yes the Road Race pan will fit the 67-72 K-frame w/o altering. And it will be no lower than a stock pan. Actually about 1/4" to 1/2" higher because there is no oil bolt drain dimple. It's a tighter fit than a stock pan, but it's a bigger pan.

The Mildodon Low Pro pan #30936 would be another option as you don't need the side to side oil control. It's capacity is 7 quarts (Kevco = 5qt). The Low Pro is only 1/4" deeper than stock pan (Kevco = 1/2" deeper). And the Milodon Low Pro pan cheaper than the Road Race pan.

But I'm not sure if the Milodon Low Pro needs the K-member to be notched or not (I don't think so). Same for the Kevco. I'd ask around here. Also ask if the Low Pro will work with your girdle.

Mildodon Low Pro pan #30936

MIL-30936.jpg

Thats the pan I bought..the Lo pro...before the road race pan came :(

Did it fit in your K-member without mods?

BTW, Kori you mentioned coming out to Fall Fling at Spring Fling. Still thinking about that....I'm still envious of your friend that scored all the 63-66 A-body 4spd stuff.

I would stick to the stock capacity pump if the engine spends most of its time at low to moderate RPM.

4ts? I believe every pan was at LEAST 5qt

Stock= 4 quarts. Kevko= 5 quarts. I see a lot of people call the kevko pan 6quarts but kevko markets them as 5 and mine is clearly labeled 5quarts on the side.

Next time you guys have an oil pan laying around, pour the pans with water in a graduated container so you can measure just how much it takes to fill them up to the baffles (or the top of the sump).
A milodon street/strip 7Qt pan is FULL with 5Qts exactly! Any more than that and the oil will come out of the sump which is not good.
So 5Qts, plus 1/2 for the filter and 1/2 for the oil galleys = 6 Total Qts. using a 7QT pan!!

Measure, measure, measure!!!!

Brian

Hi Brian,

do you have this information also for a moroso 8 qt. street/strip pan? i forgot to check before mounting....recently i put in new filter and oil, put in 7 Liter (7,4 qt) and think it´s ok.

thanks

Michael

Thats what I was thinking. If he only ran 4qts that might explain something...

A stock pan is ONLY 4 qts. Have measured with them off. The filter and passages take another quart to total 5 quarts. If you run a big filter you may be able to squeeze in 5 1/2 qts w/o over filling it. I was running 5 1/2 quarts w a 4 qt pan. So that was not the issue wise guy. Please leave comments to those that know what they are talking about.

Stock= 4 quarts. Kevko= 5 quarts. I see a lot of people call the kevko pan 6quarts but kevko markets them as 5 and mine is clearly labeled 5quarts on the side.

You are absolutely correct. Some people seem to think just because a car w a stock pan holds 5 qts of oil that the pan is a 5 qt. WRONG.... The galleys, filter, and other passages hold an extra quart to a quart or better. I have one engine now w a kevko 5 qt pan that holds 6.5 quarts because of the bigger filter Im running.

i was told by a top engine builder to never run a hv pump with a stock pan it will pump it dry in no time at high rpms

i was told by a top engine builder to never run a hv pump with a stock pan it will pump it dry in no time at high rpms

I found that out the hard way. Was OK except for over 6000 RPM under hard acceleration. Lifters would collapse and oil pressure would drop off. Didnt take to many times of that before # 5 rod bearing spun

A stock pan is ONLY 4 qts. Have measured with them off. The filter and passages take another quart to total 5 quarts. If you run a big filter you may be able to squeeze in 5 1/2 qts w/o over filling it. I was running 5 1/2 quarts w a 4 qt pan. So that was not the issue wise guy. Please leave comments to those that know what they are talking about.

LOL you are hilarious! Obviously I know a tad more if I am not the one asking this question. I know the pan takes 4qts. What I THOUGHT was you ran only 4qts overall, but apparently you ran 5 total. Run the stock up, unless your clearances on the bearings are looser. :banghead:

-
Back