What's wrong with this K-frame?

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
A mini K-frame saga on my 64 Valiant.

The one on the right was on the car. With suspension & steering off for rebuild, I was cleaning rust and priming. I eventually noticed the right strut mount was dished in relative to the left. Apparently, the right wheel hit a hole or curb and folded back the LCA, pulling the the strut thru its mount. Must be common since my 65 Dart has a plate welded there to make a new mount hole. Bad to have the strut mount too far aft since that reduces caster and we need all we can get for radial tires.

No problem I thought since I bought an early-A K-frame at a local Mopar swap meet for $70 already painted, planning to replace my Dart's someday. I made a few measurements to verify, then raised the engine and swapped it fairly easy. After installing all suspension and steering box, I crawled under to bolt the idler arm. WTF? No idler bracket! Not sure how I missed that. I then fell back to repairing the original, pushing the dished-in part flat w/ my shop press (a bit hard to fit it) and hammer, then tack welded. I also added a few tacks to the LCA pivot hole since I have read those can fail. I was able to do more de-rusting w/ sand-blasting and to spray paint thoroughly inside the cavities.

Swapping back had me worried since not sure I could work the K-frame off the now-installed LCA and strut rods, but turned out fairly easy to work off (hint to others). It would have been a bigger retreat to remove the LCA's and T-bars. 2nd photo shows the LCA's supported by the T-bars and spindle. This time I jacked up from the oil pan since last time the cherry picker's legs made access harder. Took 2 hrs to swap.

Perhaps someday I'll cut the idler bracket off my Dart's K-frame and weld to the spare. It looks like the missing idler bracket was purposeful, perhaps by someone planning to fab a custom rack & pinion steering. I don't know if the guy selling the K-frame noticed it missing either.

Attachments

• SAM_0905.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 360
  • SAM_0907.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 329
I just read in Mopar Action about reinforcing the early A K frame in the strut area.They had photos of how the factory put in extra plates on the 67-up K's..
Just a guess,maybe that K was going to be used with a gasser style straight front axle.I have read about doing a straight axle and keeping the K for strength and engine mounting.

chryslerfat,
You were supposed to guess from the photos before reading the text. Just trying to share info & experiences w/ others. Main helpful point for others, one can remove the K-frame for repair while leaving the suspension in-place.

Darter6,
Good guess. The idler arm region was ground smooth and painted. You definitely need some type of brace between the front frame rails. I also agree the K-frame sheet-metal could use some reinforcing at the pressure points. Not as bad as my 84 M-B which has thinner sheet metal that broke at the LCA mount and top frame, and those are welded in like my Mopar C-body so a tougher "repair in place".

-
Back