What's your opinion on the slack in this 318 timing chain?

-
You would think (or - I would think) that there would be more options for undersized chain sets for the past dozen or more years given the likelyhood of engine rebuilding (and line-honing) would be increasing for these engines.
Probably because the ones available now are more expensive than the standards and don't sell because you won't see any effect of the special chain set in 95% of applications. If potential chain slack really bothers you, the only solution is gear drive or belt drive with a stiff tensioner. Gear drive is usually noisier and a tight belt drive could be bad for hydrodynamic bearings and sap as much HP as it saves in the timing accuracy.

I'm tearing into this because of a coolant leak between the timing cover and the block, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I was curious about the condition of the timing chain. This engine was bought from a Chrysler dealer, it came from an authorized rebuilder in Toronto (Ontario Reman) circa 1986 and I might have 10k miles on it at this point.

View attachment 1716291817

View attachment 1716291818

Sprocket made in Canada? Links made in Japan?

From what I read, even new timing sets have slack, maybe more than some people want or expect. I didn't measure the slack here, I can, but it looks like 5/16 inch. I haven't driven the car much in the past 2 years (was in storage for 20 years before that) but I'd like to see a smoother idle, don't know if it's the crappy gas now, or my expectations of 550 rpm, or the carb setup, or still having points (not electronic) ignition - or this chain?

I'm going to have to decide in the next couple days if this chain is staying on or if I'm going to replace it. Comments?
That chain is too slacked for my liking without a tensioner to keep it from jogging at idle. I'd replace it.
One thing to note is.. it's not some slack thats the issue.. it's how much the cam is retarding from the chain stretch itself. You could technically degree it in to compensate for the slack.. but will it continue to stretch and retard. Buy a good billet set and skip the stock replacement crap.jmo

-
Back