What's your thoughts ???

-

Ozcuda

gotta love a MOPAR
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

Ok I have done a few miles with my new motor & my engine builder told me to check & adjust the rockers / valve clearance......(He set them at .019 inlet & Exhaust when he assembled the motor)......

I have a comp cam # 20-633-5. The cam card says the clearance should be .020 intake .022 Ex. When I set them hot I set them at .019 In & .021 Ex & it is now a bit noisier.

I was told that if the clearances are set cold you should take .003 of the required setting has anyone heard of doing this ???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Oz

yes things swell up when hot. i set mine .012" tight when cold but i have an all aluminum motor. set your's .003" tigher then when it's hot check them and see where they are at. after a few times you'll fine the correct cold setting for your motor to end up at the cam card setting.

Hi Bob,

Maybe I didn't explain myself right the engine builder set them .003 tighter when he assembled the enging cold. Then when I adjusted them I had the motor hot & now it is a little noisy.

My main concern is do I go back to the old clearances or not I don't want to do any damage

thanks Oz

Found this:

With iron block and iron heads, add .002"
With iron block and aluminum heads, subtract .006".
With both aluminum block and heads, subtract .012".

I'm not a big believer in this except to "rough them in" for start up.

Also not a believer in "setting lash running."

solid lifters wil be a bit on the noisy side and some are worst than others. it depends on how the ramps are ground in the cam. closing them up some it may help. what happens is you increase the cam duration a tad when you get them tighter then spec when the motor gets hot. it's no big deal.

-
Back