wheel bearings

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I have finished rebuilding the front end of my 65 Barracuda and have new wheel bearing to install. This may sound dumb, but I don't know how to grease them. Do you pack the hub full or what? I should know this. I will be doing the rear next week end so I have the same question. The rear is complete. All I need to do is install the bearings.
thanks

Take the brg., put some grease in the palm of your hand, and push the rollers into the grease so that the grease comes outthe inside of the brg. roller. Once you start you'll see what I mean. Or get an el cheapo brg. packer from the parts store and use it. Put some grease into the hub also.

I use rubber coves lol. I hope you can watch this very short video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agxjGtmHV_4"]Correct way to pack a wheel bearing - YouTube[/ame]

What 5.7 said, but do not pack the hub full of grease. Just needs a smear in there to keep it from rusting basically. If you jam a bunch in the hub, it'll get hot and start coming out all over...

Thanks guys, I haven't worked on the car an a month or so and felt good yesterday so I finished the front end. Thanks for the info.

What they said, correct. Lately so many bench racers in here, spouting off. The pos presses are 50/50/. Do the palm trick. Good for 50,000 miles. Re-pack, good for another 50,000.

Thanks, I don't plan on this fish seeing 50,000 miles. Just good for a short cruise to a car show and maybe a nice sunday afternoon drive. Of course, as much time as I have in it I may feel different once it hits the road. I have had the car 1 year and even though I have made a lot of progress, it still seems a lot more to go. Once I get the floor pan on the passenger side the car should be road worthy. I would like to paint the interior and install the carpet and seat covers before fall. There is a lot of rust to clean up first though. Thanks again for the advise.

-
Back