Wheel cylinders for 11 inch brakes

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
I'm cobbling together the parts I need for drum brakes on my 8 3/4 axle. Already bought a pair of 11 x 2.5 finned drums through rockauto and now looking for wheel cylinders.

I see on Rich Ehrenberg's Ebay store that he's selling pairs of 10-11 inch drum brake wheel cylinders for nearly $40, says they are "improved design" over OEM to accommodate front discs. Here's what he says on the ebay add:

Here's an oft-needed item: a pair (that's two [2] pieces) of new, improved-design replacement rear wheel cylinders for all muscle-era Mopars (1965-74) equipped with 10 or 11" rear drum brakes.

Why you need them: Stock Mopar rear wheel cylinders of the era contained basically 'one way' internal seals. Air was prevented from entering the system, on the return stroke, by means of a residual pressure valve located in the master cylinder. But modern master cylinders, as used for most front-disc swaps, do not have these valves. So, if you make the usual disc swap with OEM wheel cylinders in the rear, the result will be an eternally spongy pedal! Do the job right with these beauties, built by an OEM Chrysler supplier, specifically designed to alleviate this nasty condition.

I suspect this wheel cylinder is available for much less than what they are being sold for on Ebay...rockauto has Raybestos and other rear drum wheel cylinders for around $5 - $7 each.

Does anyone know who makes the wheel cylinders referred to in Ehrenberg's Ebay add, and the part number?

Cheers

lol e'berg's garbage. Wonder why he's not bashing this "new" design over OEM stuff. thats all I ever seem to see from him. Sorry to hijack but buy the Raybesto's stuff or something from Wagner it'll be no different e'berg's just a tool

i depends on what m/c you're using. i have a new master made for disc/disc setup which would require a 10 lb. residual valve installed because i'm still using drums in rear. these wheel cyls. from e-berg eliminate the need to plumb an inline residual valve as they have internal res valves. you can still go with rock auto or whoever but you'll need the res valve.

Ah, I see. Well I'm running a master cylinder for front disc/drum rear which has residual valve built in. So any appropriate wheel cylinder for 11 drums will work no problems. He's working the angles very well in the ebay add, making it seem that he has some kind of special fix for an all pervasive problem, without mentioning that no problem at all exists if you have the correct master with residual valve. All in the name of turning a quick buck.

Thanks Pauly!

The "improved design" has expanders. They look like little pie plates which sit inside the seal cups. A LOT of parts house replacements (and rebuild kits) have had these for as long as I can remember.

E-Berg was selling 3/4" bore wheel cylinders which would help with balance, but he wasn't exactly cheaper than anybody else.

-
Back