Wheel Fitment and SBP – to – BBP, Lessons Learned (1969 Dart)

-

69DartDave

Reaction score
I was hell-bent on acquiring 16” wheels for the 1969 Dart Custom I’ve been helping my son restore. In my humble opinion, sixteens are the best size : unlike 14s and 15s, the tire selection is enormous, and really, seventeens (or bigger) on a classic sedan would just look…kinda dorky. Two-door coupes can get away with the right 17s and look sharp, but for a sedan, I thought it would have that “trying too hard to be cool” look to it. C’mon, it’s a 4-door.

The tough part is that the selection of 5x4” small bolt pattern wheels is very, very limited, and all the wheels that we liked were not available in that bolt pattern. The Wilwood front disc brake retrofit kit we bought had the big bolt pattern 5x4.5” anyway, so the hard part became How To Best Convert the Rear Axle to LBP Studs. Redrill the axle flange for the BBP? Wheel adaptor/spacers?

The ‘search’ feature of this forum is AWESOME, and after some historical reading on other’s advice, I concluded that this slant-six powered, 7 ¼” rear end Dart would be just fine with billet aluminum wheel adaptors on the rear.

A lot of careful measurements and scale drawings concluded that I could fit 7” wide wheels with no offset, and 225/55/16 tires (just about the stock 195/75/14 height), and use 3/4" thick wheel adapters, and still have about 3/8” clearance between the rear tire and the fender lip. For reference, I could not find 16" (or 17" wheels) in our price range that had the right amount of backspacing to compensate for the thickness of the adapters.

We down-selected the wheel that fit the budget and looked great (and ‘classic’ enough). But after waiting 2+ months on back-order for Torq Thrust II wheels with the grey painted center, we finally gave up the waiting and ordered the same wheels in full-polish, which were in stock, albeit more expensive. The polished ones look really great, but we didn’t choose them initially because they kind of fell in the “trying too hard to look cool” category (for a sedan). Oh well, time to cross that line. Maybe it’ll look okay with the new shiny paint job (B7 metallic blue) the car will get next month?

The wheels came in 2 days, and upon unpacking them I noted they looked … w i d e. Then I learned that a 7” wide wheel is actually 8” wide, as the evil overlords of tire width advertising have sneakily made the standard ‘width’ measurement as the tire bead width. (yes, I ignored the little ‘Wheel 101’ blurb on the web site that would have pointed this out to me).

What this messed up – completely my fault – was the fact that I was anticipating a zero offset, 7” wide wheel. Zero offset = centered mounting face = 3.5” backspacing.

Wrong! 8” actual width means 4” of backspacing, and now I can say goodbye to the 3/8” of fender clearance. Now I have 1/8” of interference fit. Craaaaaaap.

You cannot find wheel adaptors slimmer than ¾” (nor would I want them, as they would start getting flimsy at that point). (Got mine at FTWadapters.com )

Out comes the Dremel, and off comes about 9/16” of rear fender lip! Just the top part, about an 18” length. (I better corrosion-protect the crap out of that new shiny metal edge).
And it all fit, with a little more than a quarter-inch of clearance. (and tons of clearance on the other side to clear the leaf spring). Whew!!

Since I didn’t locate a previous thread with this level of detail, nor photos, I figured I share my experience.

Photos below:

1-Stock wheels, 14x5.5 with 3.5” of backspacing, wrapped in 205/70/14 tires. 5 x 4” bolt pattern
2- Trim about 0.6” off of the inner fender lip
3 – cut three threads off of the stock studs to ensure they don’t protrude beyond the wheel adapter. (note: they’re still long enough to reattach the stock wheels)
4 – install the adapter using the stock lug nuts to mount the adapter. New studs are 12x1.5 metric, since that’s the acorn-style lug nuts I had on hand.
5 – New wheels installed
6 – Showing the ¼” –to- 3/8” gap that remains. Close, but I’m fine with it.

Attachments

• 1_stockwheels.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 429
  • 2_GrindLip.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 419
  • 3_CutStuds.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 412
  • 4_installAdapters.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 400
  • 5_new_wheels.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 416
  • 6_gapRemaining.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 420
man, it would have been easier to just donate those wheels to me...but then you couldn't brag on being a hotrodder ;)

My Question. Why not just find 4.5 bc 8.25 A body rear? I would think that they are still super common and possibly cheaper to buy than a pair of wheel adapters.

Yikes,,
,I am no fan of wheel adaptors, unsafe IMO. Those tires are close and likely will be cut on the fender rim. Going up a driveway on an angle will cause the tires to hit....been there done that. Looks good though....

MY tires mashed into the fender on my "7 inch" wheels as well. I rolled them out about 1/2". No cutting. You can't tell it was done really.

I looked in to an 8.25" rear end with the BBP, but learned it would mean I'd need my driveshaft shortened.

Plus, I'm actually content with the 2.76:1 ratio in the current 7.25" differential; this car is going to see a fair share of highway miles, and I'd prefer the 2400 RPM cruise over the 3000 RPM cruise I'd risk having by finding a local, used 8.25 that would likely have a numerically higher ratio. 2.76:1's are not so common.

If I do end up running into rubbing problems then I suspect an 8.25" rear will be the way to end up remedying it. I've bounced the car all over the place while parked (it's not yet driveable) and it doesn't rub at all. For now, my engineering knowledge and assessment of the facing surfaces and load paths through these billet adapters allayed my concerns about the safety of using them.

"Rolling out" the fenders? I hadn't considered that. You mean some way of pushing the sheetmetal uniformly outwards?

If I were putting a big block V8's worth of torque through everything, I'd likely have reconsidered. But for a hundred bucks and 20 minutes of work, adapters seemed like a decent way to go.

Just my. 02. The adapters are completely safe an would be safe In a much higher load application as well. They original studs are fully engaged and the rest of the adapter is plenty strong. Jeep guys run this type of adapter with 35 inch tires and the wheel adapter is not the week link. These are not the same old spacers we used to cram between rim and the hub.
Your wheel selection looks good. I would be concerned with the tight clearance. If it does become an issue I have had a machine shop redrill my axles and drums with no ill effects. just redrill them and haw them press in new studs. You could probably resell the adapters on here with out too much problems

"Rolling out" the fenders? I hadn't considered that. You mean some way of pushing the sheetmetal uniformly outwards?

Yup. I had a big wood closet rod dowel, and a jack, jack the car up to fit the dowel above the tire and wheel lip, heat the paint with a heat gun to keep from cracking, and then lower the car a bit, so there's just a bit of pressure between it and the tire on the dowel (or use a baseball bat) and then roll uniformly back and forth and it moves the lip out.

I like the look of 16s too.
Wheel adapters got a bad reputation back when for 2 reasons...
1. Improper assembly. The adapter must sit flat against the drum. If the adapter sits on top of a welded balancing weight for example, it wont stay tight.
2. Improper torque. To just zip them up with a impact is not proper torque.

Lock tight on the threads and torque in a star pattern and those spacers are fine.
Your wheels look good. Put a 8 1/4 in my 66 valiant and thinks those wheels would look good. Thanks for posting the pictures, got me thinking.

-
Back