Wheel fitment. Factory spring placement

-

Dodge73Dart

1973 Dodge Dart Sport restoration
Reaction score
I can't seem to get a straight answer on this question.
I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport. Stock spring location. Stock rear.
At one time I have ran a 14" wheel and G 60 14 tires on the rear.
I no longer have the wheels.
I am looking for a chrome reverse wheel and tire combination that will fit under the rear stock tub and give me a wide tire look.
I want the widest tire and wheel combination as possible and like the deep dish/chrome reverse look on the rear.
Since 14" Keystone Klassics are no longer available I will need to change to a 15" unless I can find a nice set of 14" used. I do not loke Crager S/S.
Pics of your setup would be great.
So here is the question(s):
What 14" chrome reverse 7 or 8" wide wheel and tires will fit without rubbing or modifications?
What 15" Chrome reverse 7 or 8" wide wheel and tires will fit without rubbing or modifications?
THANKS

A reverse wheel has positive offset, and a lot of it. Meaning, a very small backspace. If you want to run the widest tire possible, AND fit the wheel into the stock wheel tub you need a negative offset, not a positive one.

You can run a 15x8 with about 4.5” of backspace (depending on which rear axle and brakes you have) and a 275/60/15 on a ‘73 Dart Sport with the stock spring locations and fit it into the tub.

But that’s not anything you’d call a reverse wheel. You can run chrome reverses, but you’ll have to hang the wheels out past the quarter panels and raise the ride height substantially so nothing rubs with suspension travel. Or run wheels with the right backspace to fit in the tubs, but those won’t be reverses.

A reverse wheel has positive offset, and a lot of it. Meaning, a very small backspace. If you want to run the widest tire possible, AND fit the wheel into the stock wheel tub you need a negative offset, not a positive one.

You can run a 15x8 with about 4.5” of backspace (depending on which rear axle and brakes you have) and a 275/60/15 on a ‘73 Dart Sport with the stock spring locations and fit it into the tub.

But that’s not anything you’d call a reverse wheel. You can run chrome reverses, but you’ll have to hang the wheels out past the quarter panels and raise the ride height substantially so nothing rubs with suspension travel. Or run wheels with the right backspace to fit in the tubs, but those won’t be reverses.
Thanks. I kept the back jacked anyway and would occasionally got a little rub on the quarter. I have a stock 2 3/4 rear. Running a stock 318 and looking for mileage. Just wish I still had one of the old wheels and tires in the 14” so I could have the same set up if I could find the same in new.

-
Back