Wheel hop options

-

schmitt

Reaction score
Just put a newly built 383 in my D100 along with Dana 60 on top the rear leafs.

What options do I have for wheel hop? Thing will shake you out the truck

Caltracs?

Lakewood universal traction bars?

Thanks

Do like I do in my truck. Don't spin the tires.

I would first think about a slapper bar if the U bolts and nuts are not rusted solid. If they are and need to be cut off I would look to fabricate/purchase something more precise and adjustable.

Generally, it's the leaf springs that are weak and are trying to wrap, and or worn rear suspension bushings.

Stiffer shocks. A lot of race cars use Rancho 9-way adjustables on the rear. I tried Mopar auto trans drag shocks once and it wheel-hopped under certain conditions even with SS springs! I wonder if there are heavier duty rear springs if it's a 1/2 ton or if 3/4 ton springs would work.

No worn parts fellas everything is new. It does have stockish leafs (6)
I have rancho shocks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 145
They don't seem to have the adjustment knob on the bottom. I don't know if the 9-way adjustable will help in your situation, just that it works work in many drag car application. I believe Cal-Tracs use a relabeled or similar versions for their set-ups.

They don't seem to have the adjustment knob on the bottom. I don't know if the 9-way adjustable will help in your situation, just that it works work in many drag car application. I believe Cal-Tracs use a relabeled or similar versions for their set-ups.

Yeah I would hate to get them and it does nothing ( or maybe it could take care of it too) ?? When I had a one wheel wonder I had no problem at all. Now with sure grip not so much

Should I just add the caltraks and be done?

Your rear shocks at that angle isn't helping your problem! Cal tracs would definitely solve your issue. As RRR states your leaf springs are trying to wrap up.

I called to order Caltracs today and talked with John, he told me first to check my pinion angle since I made some suspension changes this winter, (great customer service) well sure enough it is high.(cant believe I missed that ) He said this will most likely be the cause of my problem if I didn't have the issue last year.

I added a sure grip/Locker this winter to the rear axel so I was thinking the added traction was maybe causing the wheel hop. Would this addition cause wheel hop?

Are you wanting it to spin but stop hopping? Or do you want it to stop hopping and have no spin? I know it sounds like a weird set of questions but there really is a difference in what your trying to accomplish. Describe the intended usage and if it's a low, medium, or high budget. You have a ton of options and will get a ton of opinions. Lets help narrow the field.

Did you torque the U bolt nuts properly? They don't torque incredibly tight so that the springs can actually work. On the A bodies, that torque spec is only 45 LB FT. I don't know what it is on trucks, but the U bolts are the same size. If you over torque them. that will all but stop the springs from working right. Might be worth checking.

Best,simplicity move: Post a video,how the combination reacts..That probably, will get less "guessatations" ,& more realistic responses... (Jmho)...

Are you wanting it to spin but stop hopping? Or do you want it to stop hopping and have no spin? I know it sounds like a weird set of questions but there really is a difference in what your trying to accomplish. Describe the intended usage and if it's a low, medium, or high budget. You have a ton of options and will get a ton of opinions. Lets help narrow the field.

It just a fun street toy for right now so looking for spin with no hop

Did you torque the U bolt nuts properly? They don't torque incredibly tight so that the springs can actually work. On the A bodies, that torque spec is only 45 LB FT. I don't know what it is on trucks, but the U bolts are the same size. If you over torque them. that will all but stop the springs from working right. Might be worth checking.

This I did not know! I tighten them down good. Thanks for the tip

Trucks will spin easy because no weight over back wheels. Does it have a pinion snubber? (I don't know if trucks have them).

Trucks will spin easy because no weight over back wheels. Does it have a pinion snubber? (I don't know if trucks have them).

No it does not. I would have to make some custom brackets so it doesn't bent the bed. Think I'd rather go Caltracs then

If Cal-trac's are in the budget, then yes, a good starting point. You have to eliminate as much axle wrap as you can. Wheel size and tire inflation can also factor in. As can a shortage on horsepower. If I put marshmallow sidewall tires on and can barely turn them over on a light bed weight truck. Well you get the picture. Now put a set of stiff sidewalls and throw some horsies at her and your hides will live no longer than a kid trying to get to the center of a tootsie pop. But do as Rusty suggests first. Make sure what you have is in correct operating order before throwing more at it.

Forgive me questioning this, but I am not getting this..... the leafs should be clamped solidly together in the center; they are designed to be a solid unit and not move relative to each other in the center. I am not seeing where too much torque will stop the leafs form moving relative to each other beyond the clamping point. Are there some soft spacers in the stack near the center or something?

Forgive me questioning this, but I am not getting this..... the leafs should be clamped solidly together in the center; they are designed to be a solid unit and not move relative to each other in the center. I am not seeing where too much torque will stop the leafs form moving relative to each other beyond the clamping point. Are there some soft spacers in the stack near the center or something?

Yeah when talking to Caltrac I asked about that and he said you take those tight or ***** going to move and break lol. 75flbs

-
Back