wheel locks up on hard right turns

-

moparker

Reaction score
About two years ago I had mY 71 Duster 340 aligned. Every since when I make a hard right turn it feels as if the brake is on. At first I wasn't sure if i was locking up or it was just me. I noticed it first when backing intp my garage. I thought maybe it was on the lip of the concrete or something. Anyway tonite I checked the wheel bearings and they seem fine. I also looked at the flexible brake lines. They are old possibly originals. They are not crimped or pinched. Do you think that they are collapsed internally? It's 4 wheel drum by the way. The brake parts look fine also. Wtf? I'm open to suggestions. Driving down the road it is fine. Hard left turn is fine. Thanks in advance, Mike

Sorry about the spelling in the title. Been up for almost 3 days due to all the rains and f;loding. I'm only on my second beer I promise.

Hmmm that's a good one! Well you mentioned ever since the alignment its had this issue. I would have to lean towards something with the steering being out of wack vs a brake issue. Maybe the tire is bottoming out in the wheel well at full crank? Or maybe its a coincidence and the problem resides in the rear differential? My first thought when reading your post was a pinched brake hose.

If the brakes aren't adjusted evenly this would happen? The tire is not hitting anything. I'm gonna repack the bearings and replace the brake lines and see what goes on.

my focus would be on the wheel bearings. if they are so bad that the drum is locking to the linings or backing plate , new grease aint gonna fix it.
Get the front end up on stands, try to wiggle the wheel/drum assembly while viewing the drum backing plate relation.
good luck

Get it on the rack with the weight on the suspension in a full right turn and see what is hitting/dragging. I would bet the tire is rubbing on something.

-
Back