Wheel lug/stud knurl size

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
I broke 4 lugs/studs (2 on each side) off my factory a-body 8 3/4" rear-end (7/16"-20 thread size).

IMG_5134.JPG

And, with the help of YouTube.com, I was able to knock out the broken lugs/studs. I measured the knurl size on both broken lugs/studs at ~.463"-ish. The length of the remaining studs is ~1.5".

IMG_5137.JPG

I've found Dorman #610-186 lugs/studs with a .472" knurl at SummitRacing.com & the local AutoZone/O'Reiley's. All 3 websites say these lugs/studs will fit my vehicle. Will the larger knurl actually work sufficiently?

I plan to remove & replace all the rear lugs/studs as I'm pretty sure they are all original (nearly 50 years old and 120,000 miles).

Any tips or tricks for installing/maintaining the lugs/studs? Should I put anti-seize on the lugs/studs when I mount the wheels/tires?

As always, thanks for any/all guidance.

Looks like the ones. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1060119&cc=1088186&jsn=419 It seems like all replacement studs are not exact copies of the originals. As long as you are close you should be good to go. I have used 2 washers large enough to fit over the studs, a little grease to make them slippery and a regular lug nut with the flt side toward the washers. (not the tapered side) At the dealer we drove them on with a impact wrench but you can use a ratchet and socket or a ratchet wrench. Make sure they are seated in the axle all the way.

Last edited:
toolmanmike those have a .555" knurl. Can I go that large?
I didn't look. I looked them up by application. Go on Rockauto's site and compare the manufacturers. See which is closer to your originals.

The knurl on the new studs should be just a few thousands bigger than what you took out. You can either draw them in with a lug nut & washers, or take the axle out & beat them in with a BFH, of take them & have them pressed in.

I had to replace the studs on my axle shafts, I used a HF press to take the old ones out and press the new ones in. Easy-peasy.

-
Back