Wheel, tire,offset?

-

Sparky

Reaction score
Hello. I am currently switching to 15 inch all around on my fish. I want to lower it just a tiny bit so that the tires fit inside the wheel wells but want as much meat under there as possible. So admittedly I have not searched this whole thread, sooo long. Any suggestions on tire size, offset, etc I am wondering if there is still a good selection at 15, or would it make more sense to go to something bigger? Although I am not a fan of skinny rubber, if the options are limited at 15 inch I may have to? Give me some tire sizes, offset ideas, just want to fill up those big wheel wells.
Thanks
Sparky

Hello. I am currently switching to 15 inch all around on my fish. I want to lower it just a tiny bit so that the tires fit inside the wheel wells but want as much meat under there as possible. So admittedly I have not searched this whole thread, sooo long. Any suggestions on tire size, offset, etc I am wondering if there is still a good selection at 15, or would it make more sense to go to something bigger? Although I am not a fan of skinny rubber, if the options are limited at 15 inch I may have to? Give me some tire sizes, offset ideas, just want to fill up those big wheel wells.
Thanks
Sparky
there's still lots of options at 15" but getting exactly what you want size/performance/looks wise at a price you can swallow is a little bit of juggling act, so expect a compromise somewhere.

going to 17 increases tire choices, but may not be the look you want. it's probably a straight across price wise 15~17 on rims and tires, or damn near.

i'm on cop wheels with 215/65's and 235/60's on my 69 and they fill up the wheel wells

fwiw, the car is lowered a bit, 8.75 out back and 73~76 disk front

What bolt pattern, what brakes, what rear axle, stock spring locations?

And what is the intended use of the car?

If you want to "fill the wheel wells" you could run 275/35/18's on all 4 corners if you wanted to, that would fill up ALL the wheel wells. But I'm guessing you were mostly talking about the rear wheel wells...

Assuming you are talking about a 67-69 Barracuda, still with 5 on 4 bolt pattern.
Pickings are pretty slim for 5 on 4, and not cheap. Basically Cragars, slots if you can find em, steelies for hubcaps, and rallyes.
Depending on your budget, there are 15x7s (and larger sizes) from Team III/ET wheels that look like torque thrusts, (beautiful, but LOTS of $$$) and 17x7s from Boyd Coddington, also tt lookalikes.
American Racing makes a centerline lookalike that Summit lists, but i dont know if they really are available.
If your car has been converted to 5 on 4 1/2, all this info is useless, we'd need more info about your car.

Last edited:
What bolt pattern, what brakes, what rear axle, stock spring locations?

And what is the intended use of the car?

If you want to "fill the wheel wells" you could run 275/35/18's on all 4 corners if you wanted to, that would fill up ALL the wheel wells. But I'm guessing you were mostly talking about the rear wheel wells...
Switching to big bolt pattern, drums in the rear, stock spring location. Just a street screamer. Planning a little less tire in the front than the rear, in terms of width.
Assuming you are talking about a 67-69 Barracuda, still with 5 on 4 bolt pattern.
Pickings are pretty slim for 5 on 4, and not cheap. Basically Cragars, slots if you can find em, steelies for hubcaps, and rallyes.
Depending on your budget, there are 15x7s (and larger sizes) from Team III/ET wheels that look like torque thrusts, (beautiful, but LOTS of $$$) and 17x7s from Boyd Coddington, also tt lookalikes.
American Racing makes a centerline lookalike that Summit lists, but i dont know if they really are available.
If your car has been converted to 5 on 4 1/2, all this info is useless, we'd need more info about your car.

68 340-S Notcho

DSCN0510.JPG

DSCN0511.JPG

Ok, so with 15's and 73+ BBP disks up front and BBP axles in an 8 3/4 out back, with a stock or slightly lower ride height you'd be looking at-

15x7" up front, with a 4.25"-4.5" backspace. 225/60/15 is about the best you'll do, if you go taller than ~25.6" on the tire height you'll get into the lower front corner of the fender unless it's already been modified. 215/60/15 would be easier, especially if you want to lower substantially.

In the back, 15x8" with 4.5" to 4.75" of backspace, and you can run up to a 275/60/15 with the stock spring locations. That will be pretty tight, so if you're completely unwilling to do any quarter lip rolling you may want to stick with 255/60/15's, just to have a little breathing room because of the fairly lax factory tolerances on these cars. Lots of folks run 275's though.

-
Back