Wheel well Protector

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Today I was thinking about the wheel wells. On newer cars they have a plastic/rubber insert that protects the metal body from what gets kicked up by the tires. Does a 65 Barracuda also have those? Mine does not have them anywhere. If so is there a place to either get original fit or universal?

A 65 Barracuda never had anything like that. Just some undercoating on the underside of the fenders. That, plus the fenders were made out of metal that was probably 2 to 3 times thicker than what they use on new cars. :-D

Don't know of any type of universal shields but they did offer a red plastic liner for the wheelwells of the 67 to 69 Barracudas & there are reproductions available but they're just for looks. I don't know if you could adapt those & they're probably not really necessary. I've never seen any real damage done by rocks or anything flying up in the fenders.

The main advantage would be reduced road /tire noise. It might be possible to adapt the liners from some other vehicle.

Today I was thinking about the wheel wells. On newer cars they have a plastic/rubber insert that protects the metal body from what gets kicked up by the tires. Does a 65 Barracuda also have those? Mine does not have them anywhere. If so is there a place to either get original fit or universal?

In Finland they had loose inner splash shield manufactures by Lokari for 1963 to 1966 Abody cars. They were made of aluminium and had rubber lining attached on each side so nothing could pass. Not even a bug!

I plan on using a rubberized pick-up truck bed liner material to coat my wheel wells.

Fishbreath will that work in a similar fashion? The reason I asked about the liner is because it creates a dead air space which allows for trapped water to evaporate out or drip out but it also prevents direct contact of road crap from hitting the metal .

The only plastic panel I found inside my wheel wells was the plastic splash shield in the after section of the well. It, along with all metal surfaces inside the well, was coated with factory undercoating.

As far as any undercoating is concerned, if you start with clean, rust-free, metal, then prime and paint it, followed by application of good undercoating, you should be good to go. Proper finishing and application with modern materials should yield results equal to, or better than, what was done at the factory.

-
Back