wheel woogie woes

-

She Devil

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Got the car up on the lift at school today and found out the cause of my wobbly rear wheel.
Everything is bent.... The rim is bent, the drum is bent, and the axle is bent. Way out of my current price range for fixing, so I'm going to have to turn the tags back in and park her for a while. :(

What rear axle do you need? Seems a shame to park it during the summer!
C

It's the drivers side rear axle. I'm going to try the local pull-a-part to see what I can find. I'm trying to look at the good in all this and #1 gotta go to the junkyard and you know that's always a fun day!! #2 if I do have to park it, this gives me the opportunity to pull the engine compartment apart and clean it up real good!
It was really nice to see the reaction of all the guys at school when I started the Demon up! At a school filled with gearheads and racing junkies in the middle of NASCAR country, I start my car and everyone stopped what they were doing and just stood there staring. Got a few cheers too :)
God, I love my car!!!

I figured I would have to replace the drums on both sides. Good call on the bearings, I hadn't even thought about those till now.
I have a 8.75 rear, and for the life of me I can't remember which one. I'll be able to look tomorrow when I get her home from school, she's kinda stuck till I can get the tow dolly there tomorrow night.

Averagerod... What are sbp and lbp? The rims that are on her are the centerline draglites?

you can tell by eye most of the time. sbp the lug nuts are really close to the center hole and on a bbp the lugs are about 1/2 to 3/4 s of an inch away from the hole

I wonder if beings you were driving this like that if the tube ends are even round any more like they should be?

Give it a close evaluation and let us know what you need to keep her rolling. Seriously. Answer a few questions for us so we'll know what we're looking for. Is it an A body 8.75? Your center section shuld be good as should be the housing. If i'm reading this right, you need the axle and the drum on the drivers side. How's the backing plate? Check the pick and pull in your area and let me know how much they want for the stuff. Can't be much. I have all that stuff here but there maybe closer stuff. Let us know.
Small Block

I finally got the car home last night and here's the info I have been able to gather.
The rear is a 489 rear
The bolt pattern is the small bolt, 4"
The bf found out he has to work Saturday so I am trying to find another way to get to the pull-a-part, if I can't it'll have to wait till next week I guess

I seriously doubt you are going to find an A body 8 3/4 rear at pull-a-part!!! Good luck though, never say never! If not, there is one on craigslist in your area though.

Well, I figure its worth it to try pull-a-part... As for the craigslist rear, I don't have $450 to spend on a rear at the moment, hell I haven't been able to scrape $50 together to get my internet turned back on, and anyway, seems excessive to purchase a whole rear end when I only need the one axle..

Got good news!! The bf found out he isn't going to have to work till tomorrow night, so he is going to be able to take me to the junkyard. One of the guys at school owns a Duster and was telling me about one place in SC that has all older cars so I'm going to try to get the address from him today.
Now I have questions...
What should I look for to find an axle?
Are all the 489s the same or do I need to measure, and if I have to measure what are the critical specs?
Are there any other rears that might have an axle that will fit?
What price range should I expect to be paying?
And lastly, if there are any questions I haven't thought to ask that y'all want to pipe in on, please feel free :)

Thanks guys!

If both the wheel and axle are bent just take the wheel off, rotate it as close to 180 degrees as possible and bolt it back on. Maybe both bends will cancel themselves out and it will run truer. It would get you by for now if they aren't seriously bent.

Chuck

im pretty sure the 489 number your refering to is just the style of the carrier housing i dont think it would be different in a 742 or 741 housing if its just the axle youre needing just make sure its from an a-body and also if you do find a 8 3/4 in a a-body thats in a wrecking yard make sure its a abody rear end i'd take some measurements from your old one to hopefully get the right one
Terry

the only thing you need to make sure of is the axle length. if you are lucky enought to find a 8 3/4 in a yard buy the whole thing. even if you can't find a 8 3/4, see if you can find any other a body rear that you could run to get you by.

-
Back