Wheels and slicks. what actually fits?

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
71 duster stock width 8-3/4 springs moved in 3/4"

Looking to buy slicks and wheels. Not sure what will fit? My springs are moved in 3/4 " I am pretty sure you cant fit a 29" tall tire in there without cutting so thats out. thinking a 28x9 slick? 15x8 wheel again 4.5" BS. was told a 28x10.5 with fit on a 15x10 wheel with 5.5" BS. need to know for sure before spending money on **** that dont fit.

the 28x9 will absolutely work I also ran a 28x10.5 on 8" wheels 4.5 back spacing and stock spring location so you would probably be good with your 10" wheel with springs moved in

Just get in there and measure everything. Make yourself some cardboard mock ups and see if they will fit. You might get a 10 or 10.5" slick in there with enough backspace.
support the axle with jackstands so you know how far down the body will sit. You might even consider inboarding the springs even more, unless this car is used for the street.
Remember, when you launch the back end will rise, not lower.

28"x 9" slick with 15"x 7" rim 4" back space fit no problem on my '70 duster everything in stock location..

Car is BBP. And it is a street car. the car sits high now in the rear, could use a 2" lowering block. Afco springs will not settle. lol

I run a 1/2" spring offset and with the quarter lips trimmed back about a 1/2" I run 295/35/18's on 18x10's. I run a B-body rear axle on my Duster but the equivalent backspace for an A-body 8 3/4 would be about 5.8". Tread width on the 295 is 10.8, section width is 11.9". But my car sits low, if yours sits higher you could get away with more.

Just get in there and measure everything.

This is the only true way to do this as ride height will affect the diameter you can run.

Taking measurements in the rear is childs play. It's worth doing it.

Found a duster brother here last night who had an old set of slicks mounted. they are 28x 10 good years on 15x10 wheels 4-7/8 BS be wrong offset but will give me a great idea of what i need.

well looks like a 15x10 wheel with 5.5"BS and a 28x10.5x15 et drag slick will fit. The slick sizes are fucked up they go from 88" circumference to 91"and bigger. I cant fit more than a 88.5" circ in the stock wheelwell.

You can always space your front shackles to allow a taller tire.

And it may be long enough. Won't know until you measure.

Keep in mind that when you go to the taller tire you usually drop the rear a little. That driveshaft just changed length again.

-
Back