Wheels, considering going 17"

-

Dart360Custom

Reaction score
what would you do?

car as it sits is in my signature,I have possibly thought about going to a 17" chrome/polished wheel in a 5 spoke variety such as the ones ive attatched below

03cobrachrome.jpg

I dont plan on racing the car but i do like to cruise around and go to shows. Give me some feedback guys :thumbup:

I personally like the look of the welds like in your picture. However if you work it out right and fill the fenderwells up with enough tire I think the 17inch can look good.
That may be a slight problem as the 17 inch tires are usually 25" and smaller. I think 26" would look nice but anything smaller than 25.5" in dia. would not fill out the rear fender wells

From the picture I like the Pro-street look and wouldn't even think about getting rid of those Weld wheels. I myself are trying to come up with enough cash to get some Weld Prostar wheels for my ride.

I to am looking at the Prostars but have thought of going with 15" front and 17" rear to get that old hot rod look. I think if you went for it not to many would say bad things about it. go for it.

keep what you have. the other ones look good but the 17s are too ricer

i'm wanting to go with 17" wheels... i just have to do some measuring and save the money... personally i don't like that style of wheel but if you like it go for it..

abodyjoe said:
i'm wanting to go with 17" wheels... i just have to do some measuring and save the money... personally i don't like that style of wheel but if you like it go for it..

The more i start to think about it the more i dont like them,I have a real hard time changing anything on this car because i would hate to make it look bad so i guess i will stay with my draglites and save up for some prostars or rodlites ;)

Here are some test fitment pics of the a 17x9 Cobra Wheel on my Duster.

I don't imagine I'll run these as they are on my Mustang right now, but thougt I'd offer the pics for digestion.

I will point out one thing, the wheels that DartCustom360 posted do differ from the ones that flyboy01 did. The ond DartCustom360 posted a pic is a polished/chrome version on the one in my attached pics. The on flyboy01 shows is a 17x8. The 17x9 has 6.12 backspacking while the other has 5.72. I only point this out because you have to be careful when fitting these wheels. The ones on my car were as close to the tierod end as I care for it to be. Also the tire is a 275/40-17 Falken Azenis RT 615

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

RedlineDuster said:
Here are some test fitment pics of the a 17x9 Cobra Wheel on my Duster.

I don't imagine I'll run these as they are on my Mustang right now, but thougt I'd offer the pics for digestion.

I will point out one thing, the wheels that DartCustom360 posted do differ from the ones that flyboy01 did. The ond DartCustom360 posted a pic is a polished/chrome version on the one in my attached pics. The on flyboy01 shows is a 17x8. The 17x9 has 6.12 backspacking while the other has 5.72. I only point this out because you have to be careful when fitting these wheels. The ones on my car were as close to the tierod end as I care for it to be. Also the tire is a 275/40-17 Falken Azenis RT 615

Yes i made a boo boo on the pic i couldnt find one of the wheels i have on google, The clearance i see on my dart the 17x8 is about it for me to clear the upper control arm without rubbing at full lock to lock and suspension travel with my wilwood front brakes,I also need to say my car has a B body rear so it is also wider in the rear then a conventional A body rear and takes a 5.5 or more backspaced wheel.The center axle hub in the rear is also a tad larger then the wheels are and i had to gently have the center enlarged about a 1/16 of an inch.I will post some pictures in a bit after i clean the car up a little its pretty dirty :sad1:

Honest answer...Yuk....I guess im just a purist(or however you spell it) I just think when you start whipping anything over 15(guess ive seen SOME but NOT MANY 16" that look ok) that it just starts making the car look ....well cartoonish. I like a muscle car to look like well a muscle car...not like it should have clowns jumping out of it or something...thats what I think when I see 17 or bigger wheels on a car....ive NEVER seen a car with 17(or larger) wheels that I said...wow thats awesome...its always been wow nice car...horrible wheels....

Nice. Any clearance issues? Bet it corners bit more crisply now as well, eh?

They look ok to me too. I would go with a darker rim, but that's just me. Looks great.

Anyone ever have a chance to put the mustang / cobra rims on a 67-69 cuda? They have a smaller front wheel well opening. Just wondering since you're on the subject.

It almost appears as though there is a clearance issue at the upper ball joint! i would have to agree that old school has the best appearance. Merely an opinion!

-
Back