When is it ,...when.....?

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
You learn the difference in : Where you cut your budget, on pricey speed parts ...( aluminum cylinder heads,solid roller cams,high stall converters)...
and learn to use the basics: well set up chassis,basic small block,/basic torque converter (Road Runner converter/TM6 G.M.? World Class T 5 speed.....
no prelude,just share yours....

Having a big picture plan definitely helps. Was easy to justify a used $800 Craigslist rotisserie. It'll probably save me a year and a few grand in the end, and then sell it for$800. There's certain things that I just can't justify though. $5000 for a front end for example. I'll do the M2 for under $2000. The convenience of being a bolt in is not worth $3000 in my plan.

I think people loose sight of the goal and get lost on little details. People will have a car that looks like it was dropped out of a plane into the ocean and they'll spend money having the door handles powder coated.

If you have to put it on plastic you can't afford it as I seen so many including myself as a kid do it.

when you get older, 275 hp with updated suspension ,great brakes and decent mileage are more than enough.

You learn the difference in : Where you cut your budget, on pricey speed parts ...( aluminum cylinder heads,solid roller cams,high stall converters)...
and learn to use the basics: well set up chassis,basic small block,/basic torque converter (Road Runner converter/TM6 G.M.? World Class T 5 speed.....
no prelude,just share yours....
Age plays a part in it as well as disposable income. If you can afford it do it. If you cant pay cash for it don't do it. Took me a while to get there though-------------------the age thing and all-------------

When I started listening to Super Stock racers who were in the 10's with unported factory heads, factory components, and OEM carbs. Instead of magazines and other hype.

When I started listening to Super Stock racers who were in the 10's with unported factory heads, factory components, and OEM carbs. Instead of magazines and other hype.
All though I appreciate what super stock guys do, I think it's a pile of BS. They're not shaving 4 seconds with jets and timing. It's like circle track. The worst thing they ever did was start classes for "crate motors". Yup they cost $3500 and are "sealed" and make 400hp..... Except they all dyno around 575hp and cost $12-15000k.

Well how does D. Dudick run 9.9 in his Hemi Road Runner on F70 15 belted redlines?

Well how does D. Dudick run 9.9 in his Hemi Road Runner on F70 15 belted redlines?
I have no idea how they circumvent the rules, but trust me they are. I can show you "stock" SBC vortec heads that flow close to 300 and cost about $4500 bare. They use a port plug that is the same as the tech gauge and then play games past that. Math doesn't lie. 9.9 in a full size car.. What's that take, minimum 700hp? It's cheating on the grandest scale ever. There's circle track guys on here. They'll let you know.

I have no idea how they circumvent the rules, but trust me they are. I can show you "stock" SBC vortec heads that flow close to 300 and cost about $4500 bare. They use a port plug that is the same as the tech gauge and then play games past that. Math doesn't lie. 9.9 in a full size car.. What's that take, minimum 700hp? It's cheating on the grandest scale ever. There's circle track guys on here. They'll let you know.

...Daves' Road Runner is over 700 hp...but 9.9 on belted F15 70's?

...Daves' Road Runner is over 700 hp...but 9.9 on belted F15 70's?
If he's hooking up 700 on redlines...Look up Davis traction control. NASCAR likes to say they don't run traction control, but it's BS. I can tell you right now that it's been used since at least 2000. At first we had the chip in the box. Then they made us move the box to the dash, so you couldn't throw the chip out the window after the race. Then Davis integrated it into the tach. You notice how nobody spins out anymore? Cheating is in every level of Motorsports. Over 10yrs ago we were limited to a 390 carb in the Busch North series. We couldn't even buy a carb, but could lease one...For 14k a year! Was worth over 140hp! All the go/no go gauges fit, but probably flowed as much as a dominator.

Dave Dudek runs in the factory appearing stock tire, F.A.S.T. series where you can do stuff to the drivetrain, as long as it looks stock on the outside. There's another race called the pure stock musclecar drags that are not supposed to be modified, but probably are a little. Those guys are a lot slower than the FAST guys are.

I read something where Dudek says he runs bald tires, I forget which specific brand, he says that brand works the best.

All though I appreciate what super stock guys do, I think it's a pile of BS. They're not shaving 4 seconds with jets and timing. It's like circle track. The worst thing they ever did was start classes for "crate motors". Yup they cost $3500 and are "sealed" and make 400hp..... Except they all dyno around 575hp and cost $12-15000k.

I'm talking 70's. No BS here, I know what they were doing. They were quality machining, flow testing OEM castings, best valve train available, and dialing in their suspensions. No crate engines and no porting and no illegal head castings.

I learned by not having any money from the get-go.
The FAST guys "do it" by spending 4-5x the cash to do better what other enthusiasts do for less. That class is for high rollers only and always has been. One of the reasons I'm totally disinterested in it. Anyone taking a different approach to it isn't competitive.

Dave is not breaking any rules.FAST class is just "Factory appearing /Stock tires"
By the way..who is the current front runner Dave or the Mustang?

When is it when ? For me it would be when i couldnt afford it. Like for instance putting dough out on car parts if i cant donate to the savings account first, making the house payment etc. I love the hobby but I keep my priorities in check

I sold my lovely Dart for building a garage at my house.
Bought a 68 Valiant and convert it to a BB 4-speed.
The Engine is build just with what i have. just a gasket kit and new rodbearings. Not even new piston rings.
I save my money for more important things in live.
But i can not be without my Carhobby.
Thought about change the brand to any other US Car because of the cost of parts.
Mopar is just riddiculous expensive!

Or if somerthing happens to my relatives or sickness, the car have to go

This motor I just got.....you saw it on Facebook, Tim. I wanted to go all out and stroke it, blah blah but I am probably just going to blueprint a lower compression build of the 71 solid cam version. Should still be really snappy.

Last edited:
pay bills,..feed house hold...dole out kids money,...rest is mine,..i got to many projects,.. long nose peterbilt,..d150,...2 dusters,..2 dirt track cars,...3 4wheelers and a may never finish my shop....but its who i am..kids can sale it or what ever when im gone...

-
Back