when it rains it pours

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
Well all the work to get the cuda ready for the first cruise night of the year went bust for me! Here I was on Monday polishing and putting the finall details on the car so I could be all spiffy looking Friday night. On Wednes I had to go to the post office to drop off a package . The post office is about 7 miles from home.The longest drive at one time for this car in 20+ years. Motor was humming along beautifully,car was steering well (never got it aligned yet ), heads were turning my way.....all is good .Then it hits, Im going along about 40 mph and accelerate up a hill .... tranny starts to rattle!!!! Now it does it in all gears anytime I am above 2500 rpm. After the post office its straight home. Decided to miss the cruise night and pull the tranny to see if it might be clutch related or not (i had reasons to hope it was clutch) everything is good there so up on the table and out comes the mainshaft.

Here I must explain the history of this tranny. I bought this tranny brand new from Ma Mopar in about 70 for wa-a-y too much money and sent it out to have the tranny re geared and slick shifted before I even tried to put it in a car. Many $$$$ later its time to install in my hemi roadrunner. After mounting it I didnt like where I needed to cut the floor for the shifter and removed it. It seems that I bought a hemi cuda 4 speed by mistake(short tailshaft) . Flash forward 30+ years, 3000 miles and a couple thousand dollars later to Wednesday and that expensive noise .

Now back to the tranny . after a complete dis assembly and inspection I find absolutely nothing wrong, infact it looks and specs out to better than new. Back together and into the car, figuring I can just live with it . Get ready to test drive and all seems fine .......until I back out of the garage and the clutch pedal gets weird . A couple of pumps later the clutch is all but gone. So....back in the garage and under the car I go . Only to find the t/o bearing came off the fork !!! Well not being one who admits defeat easily I refuse to pull the tranny again and start to "fish" ( no pun intended) the t/o into place. several hours later I have it and I am ready for the test drive I started this morning . Up the road I go and guess what!!!........... I didnt improve a damn thing

Now this is where the pour after the rain comes in. During all this I go to jump into the wifes car about 6 am this morning to go get gear lube for the cuda and .........its dead as it gets . OK now we have 2 dead cars and no gears lube for the one that might run. Almost as bad as having a pack of ciggerettes and no matches.

I sit here now at 10:30 pm typing in this tale of woe and still havent gotten her car fixed, my car safe to drive and remember that pack of cigarettes !!! I'm out...... but I do have matches !!!!

Why don't you take the battery out of the fish and put it in the wifes car so you can go get a new battery for the wifes car, gear lube for your car anjd a pick of cigarettes for your health.

cuz the starter died a horrible death ..... we are giving it last right as I type ....LOL

Well to put the proper ending to my day . At the same time I bought that hemi tranny I also bought a bell housing and flywheel (wouldnt be much good with out them). Tonight I thru the bell housing and flywheel on e-bay ...not expecting any real interest .After all it was a cast iron bellhousing with no inspection cover or even t/o fork pivot stud . Its cast iron !!! who would use that today ? well ill tell ya ...some dude with a 68 gtx hemi car. didnt email me with any ??? or anything just hit the buy me now button... he could have bought a real scattersheild for less money...it was on ebay less than an hour !!!! Hope he needs a flywheel too...!!!! Also have a full set of stock pistons with pins and rings ....LOL seen a set of those go for $90 apiece w/o rings

Is Hemi fever really becoming an epidemic ?

man, put "HEMI" on a case of beer on ebay and it will go for 100.00..........or what about "HEMI" TAMPOONS, THOSE MIGHT GET 150.00......

OUTLAW said:
Is Hemi fever really becoming an epidemic ?

Yup! I was just watching Detroit Autoline on Speed and they had a DCX executive being interviewed. He said that Hemi demand is soooo high that they are also increasing the SIZE of the Hemi badge by 30%! He also said people buy sheetmetal, not heritage....

I think the other 3 interviewers (along with myself.....) wanted to take turns kicking him in da ball-joints for THAT remark.....

-
Back