When Mopar's Best Isn't Good Enough

-

armyofchuckness

The Flying Valiant
Reaction score
Sometimes that old slant six just doesn't give your Mopar that "oomph" you're looking for. What to do? A V8 swap would be nice, but there's all that tedious matching of motor mounts, transmission, driveshaft, yada, yada, yada. And even then, you're just another guy with a V8 Mopar. What's left? Viper V10? Done already. You need something that will really get the neighbors talking, but you're at a loss.

When that happens to me, I like to turn to my second favorite automobile engine of choice. The supercharged Rolls Royce Merlin V12. Here's a prototype I made up the other day using a 1958 Plymouth Belvedere model.

DSC_0499.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

Now all I need is a donor Belvedere and P-51 Mustang...

What you need is a varible pitch prop so you can adjust the trust in any direction. Thats what we use in the Tug Boat industry. And the same thing works with air. Also you might have a little to much time on your hands. LOL Tom

Props are not very efficient in reverse, so you gas mileage will suffer.

Good point. I'll keep this in mind when I build my real one. :-D I doubt gas mileage would be a big concern for anyone crazy enough to try this in real life, but the efficiency of the prop would definitely be a concern. I like Fishman's idea of reversing props. It would help with backing out of tight parking spaces.

Thanks, Shishaldin. I wanted the car to really draw attention to the engine, so I decided to make it a courtesy car for a fictitious airline. Those old courtesy cars weren't known for their flash and dazzle.

BYW, the more I look at that model, the more I notice and appreciate the weathering and details. Your quite the modeller! End the rust on the roof and sand in the tires. Excellent!

LMAO. Good sales pitch.

You and JR need to get together with some beer and build something together. I'll come stupervise.:-D

It does come with an extra safety feature of a football helmet. Definitely a forward look car. I see in the future I'm going to hit my head, and I better put this on.

-
Back