When to change oil

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the 340 in my Dart. I'm using the same cam so no break in needed. Once the engine is started and run when should I change the oil? I always changed it after breaking in the cam but I'm not doing it this time. Thanks for any info.

Fred B

I'm rebuilding the 340 in my Dart. I'm using the same cam so no break in needed. Once the engine is started and run when should I change the oil? I always changed it after breaking in the cam but I'm not doing it this time. Thanks for any info.

Fred B

500 miles........IF it was me.

If it was me, after the initial start and run, after you've checked for leaks and all. Then at 500 miles, and again at 1000. all with filter changes, and cracking the filter open to see whats in there.

With that in mind, if the oil is ok, it would then be recycled into my civic for daily abuse :D

hoping you put the lifters in or on the same lobes that thay came from.i would change the filter around 200miles then the oil and filter at your normal time.

I change mine after I take it for a short spin, pour in out in a clean white pan, and look for evidence of something gone wrong.

Found pieces of a wrist pin clip in a 360 ford once doing that, saved me a lot of BS, for it was a motor I built for someone, that would have stank to have to eat that.

-
Back