When to paint the car..

-

grassy

Reaction score
We are getting close to finishing the car but it is in storage now..the talk around the table now is when to paint it..

We can have the job a bit cheaper and quicker if I take it in erly in the spring..the shop is less busy....or do we finish the car first then take it into paint ??

What did you guys do ?

Thanks

What all do you need to do for it to be "finished"?
Are you goin to be painting all the jambs? If so you'll need to leave some interior trim out
If you gotta put an engine in I'd do it before if you don't plan on painting the engine bay, that way you don't have to worry about scuffing the paint on the fenders ect

Sorry I didn't provide more info..

Engine is in ..almost all wiring is done.

Steering column, console, power brake unit needs to go in.

Set up cable shift and kick down cable..insulate brake and gas lines..

Bleed brakes..

Stereo :)

I think that is it...

We are getting close to finishing the car but it is in storage now..the talk around the table now is when to paint it..

We can have the job a bit cheaper and quicker if I take it in erly in the spring..the shop is less busy....or do we finish the car first then take it into paint ??

What did you guys do ?

Thanks

THis completely varies by shop, but the shop I worked at that did restos. Since the "show" season starts up in April, usually the nice show cars are being worked on from mid last season til the start of this one. Once it was too late to get the starts done for the same season, things slow down around the shop.

Get all that done before paint grassy - especially the power brake unit. If you have to play around bleeding brakes, there's nothing that will screw up a nice under hood paint job that a good gush of brake fluid.

Thanks...that is what my wife says..I appreciate all your comments.

Ian.

-
Back