When to say "too bad to fix"

-
Too bad to fix in my opinion is when it needs over 50% of the sheet metal replaced from rust especially the rear half.
I would pass it on to somebody that is wanting to do that kind of a major restoration, and in the past i have done just that.
Case in point is a 1969 1/2 Six Pack 4 speed Super Bee post car i sold to a friend of mine years ago.
He has over 50 grand in the body alone and about 80 grand into the car as it sits.
It's beautiful and finished now, but man, that was a lot of work that i wasn't willing to do, and he is very happy with it.........

I worked for a private garage started by a father/son team in the '80's
thru' a new owner until '10.That was after a couple of dealers prior,and now another dealer
-ship since.The son of that orig. team said,"the first time a customer decides it's not worth
fixing a detail"(trim,ashtray,dash bulbs etc.),"the car is doomed because the owner no longer
considers the car to have value outside of transportation until mechanically/bodily unfit".I've
found that to be true most of the time,if it is the orig. or low mi. second owner.My neighbors
dad who taught me how to shrink sheetmetal said,"a car won't die until sombody decides to
let it",also true,justified or not.
My friend is the bodyman type,I'm the engine builder type,he went on to
work with a well known restorer/custom builder.They had a customer put 48K in the body
and paint,no upholstery,no powertrain,no suspension/brakes/tires,.....just resurrecting a
'68 firebird from the ashes.No,not a T/A or RamAir,just a car he wanted to save,and could
afford to.Lots of hand built pieces,those might be available now,but not then....notorious
cowl/firewall rust buckets. The question is,... is it too bad for YOU?Only You know that,but
I'm for saving as many as possible these days,so........get busy!!!!:):):)

It's all subjective. I do all my own work, and get paid to do others'. I don't do 100pt show quality, but it's right, and solid, and pretty when I'm done. So in terms of what I "won't do": I don't mind fabricating parts, but there are some pieces you just have a hard time spending time and money on getting back: lower cowl, upper cowl are two. Roof would be another. full floor pans another. Simply put, anything below what is rusted through is damaged at best, gone at worst. So what I'd do for me will be worse than what I'd do for a customer because I'm looking at spending his money and guaranteeing a result. I have parts for my '65 coming from across the country because nothing is made for it, and I want it to be nice. But there's no return on investment there. It will never be worth even what I'm putting into it, ever mind if I was getting paid to do so. My buddy also does steel work and loves it (personality flaw IMO...lol). I've berated him for rescuing cars that should not have been IMO. But he's done them and made them good as new and back to providing enjoyment. So who's really to say who is/was right?

I thought I would throw my 2 cents into this discussion.

I couldn't agree more with KILLER6, the statement of "Is it to bad for YOU" is so true. As well as most of the sentiments expressed.

I grew up around the wrenching community and my dad and uncle owned a couple of body shops back in the day. My uncle was the body guy and my dad the paint guy (a big Chrysler fan). I recall several great opportunities that my Dad passed over because, "they were too rusty". But at the same time my uncle has been known to build one car out of 4. A really clean 38 Lincoln Zephyr comes to mind.

Two guys with great skills but different opinions on what was achievable. My uncle was allot more sentimental about things and this was probably a big reason he saw a jewel when my dad didn't.

It's really all up to you. Do you have the skills, time, money, or none of the above? I think passion trumps everything. The value is in how you feel.

I can't count the number of times when people, and my Dad, have told me projects were a waste of time and especially money.

It's funny how things happen though. I picked up a 69 E55 Barracuda up here for what I think was a good price at an auction. Supposedly a heavily rusted example. But upon inspection it wasn't that bad. I have seen allot worse. With a simple boost it started and I drove it off the lot. Even had a numbers matching 41K 340. Yes it needs inner fenders, trunk extensions and rear quarters, BUT it's all repairable. Just allot of time and a few bucks. Goes to tell you, some people's junk is another's treasure.

I bought this car because it reminded me of my Dad and our long discussions about his memories of "the day" and his fondness for Chryslers.

He passed away long before I got it. But it brings back good memories. Every time I look at it, or work on it, I feel him right there with me. Yes, he would probably be rolling his eyes, and telling me it's a waste of time. But it stirs emotions and means something to me!

And after all, isn't that what it's suppose to be about?

-
Back