When ya think ya screwed something up...

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
All I did was a simple oil change on the Barracuda' s /6 after work today. Got it all buttoned up, added the oil, New filter, and fired it up to check for leaks like I do after any oil change. Well the car started to run ruff, it was missing and would die on me. Well, the old filter was on really tight, had to hammer a screwdriver through the filter to break it loose. In doing so I must have made contact with the dizzy and moved it out of time (the hold down was just loose enough to allow the dizzy to move). 2 hours of scratching my head and wondering "What the @$&#", I saw a clean spot on the hold down for the dist. "No F@$&#!g way!!! Got out the timing light and set her back. I was really sweating it for a bit!!!:banghead::banghead:

Nothing easy! If it CAN screw up, it WILL! MT

All I did was a simple oil change on the Barracuda' s /6 after work today. Got it all buttoned up, added the oil, New filter, and fired it up to check for leaks like I do after any oil change. Well the car started to run ruff, it was missing and would die on me. Well, the old filter was on really tight, had to hammer a screwdriver through the filter to break it loose. In doing so I must have made contact with the dizzy and moved it out of time (the hold down was just loose enough to allow the dizzy to move). 2 hours of scratching my head and wondering "What the @$&#", I saw a clean spot on the hold down for the dist. "No F@$&#!g way!!! Got out the timing light and set her back. I was really sweating it for a bit!!!:banghead::banghead:

Been there and done that on some of the simplest repairs:D

happened to me with a lawnmower once
I ran out of gas on the back forty
walked to the garage, got a can and drove over to the gas station
topped the lawnmower back off, jumped on it, turned the key and...nothing

I pushed it into the garage and completely tore it apart
I just could not get it going
I could jump the starter and it would crank but it would not rum
I messed with it for hours

finally gave up

about a month later im out grilling and from where im standing I can see the lawnmower and im just shooting nasty glances at it

then I notice the PTO lever

walk over there, disengage the lever, get on crank it and sure enough fires right up

my pappy used to say "check the last thing you did." and "check the easiest and cheapest think first"

happened to me with a lawnmower once
I ran out of gas on the back forty
walked to the garage, got a can and drove over to the gas station
topped the lawnmower back off, jumped on it, turned the key and...nothing

I pushed it into the garage and completely tore it apart
I just could not get it going
I could jump the starter and it would crank but it would not rum
I messed with it for hours

finally gave up

about a month later im out grilling and from where im standing I can see the lawnmower and im just shooting nasty glances at it

then I notice the PTO lever

walk over there, disengage the lever, get on crank it and sure enough fires right up

Oh, Damn!!

I used to LOVE the neighbors when I lived in Pennsylvania! I'd be in the yard, they'd be out mowing the grass and all of a sudden their mower would simply "die" did everything, changed plug, looked at coil wire to the magneto, EVERYTHING, then I hear, Hey John, can you come see me for a bit? OR "got a second"?????

Sure, I'm like..... in either case.... Go they tell me what happened, and then I got and remove the carburetor cover clean outthe filter, put it back in when clean, then check the oil, ALL seemed "well". then it hits me.. check to see if its getting gas.... All the lines full bowl, full, and then go and give it a yank to start it, a "chuckle" and then die..... Thats when it hits me like a ton of bricks, the damn thing ran outta gas. check it, sure enough, the damn thing died on them, as the tank was bone dry!

GOT TO LOVE IT, each time I did this stupid stuff, I was handed $20 for my trouble LOL

I use one of those oil filter sockets on my slant and if I don't have one handy I use a really big pair of channel lock pliers

I can just hear the two of them conspiring.

Filter: "You gonna allow him to treat you like that?"

Distributor: "Nope."

-
Back