When you buy an old Mopar, what’s your “gonna have to do “ list

-

69moredoor

Reaction score
So I’ve only been in the mopar game about three years now. I’m on my third Mopar (69 dart 68 valiant and just got the 79 d100)
I’m learning there are some have to do’s when you get one. My list is usually…
Ammeter bypass
Gauges as the stockers usually don’t work
Turn signal switch on last leg if not already broken
Headlight harness/relays

what’s your have you do post purchase list ?(other than usual fluids/service)

1) Remove/undo/repair all the half-assed and/or unnecessary crap that previous owners did.

2) Unless it’s already been done and is in 100% working order, re-wire the entire car.

3) If not already equipped install frame connectors

4) If not already equipped, convert to 4 speed

5) Replace all the rubber parts and seals as needed

6) Realize that you bought a bigger project than you initially thought and tear the entire car down for a complete restoration

Yep, first thing I did was change out the single pot master cylinder to a dual.
A must do.

Change the oil, filter, antifreeze, coolant hoses, cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, and fill with gas. Enjoy!

1. bust open the steering column so you can pry out the lock cylinder so you can steer it on and off the trailer. (70 and up cars) big screwdriver replaces the missing key.

2. Clean out the trash and mouse poop and cut out the stinky *** carpet (burn to dispose)

3. Crawl through the back seat into the trunk to get the lid open

4. inventory all the parts and coffee cans of bolts you found in the trunk.

5. power wash the inside of the car with the carpet and seats out.

6. put the seat back in after duct taping the tears and rebuilding the missing chunks with a pillow from your mom's couch. Spray paint the duct tape for extra luxury

7. get it running which will be easy because it's probably a slant and they will crank and run without oil.

8. get in the car with the cat and enjoy the ride, you may have to pump the brakes but that's ok, just quit whining and get pumping and enjoy

1 junk the slant 6

laugh.gif

Back when these were just used cars the first thing to do was to pull the back seat and look for money (usually some coins) and other "treasures".

The first that tops my list is get the fuel system in top notch condition. That includes removing the tank, cleaning and replacing if necessary, new fuel sender, flush out or replace all steel lines, replace all rubber fuel hose sections and a new high quality pump and filter. That's generally always the first thing I get done besides cleaning it up. You caint do much without a good fuel system.

So I’ve only been in the mopar game about three years now. I’m on my third Mopar (69 dart 68 valiant and just got the 79 d100)
I’m learning there are some have to do’s when you get one. My list is usually…
Ammeter bypass
Gauges as the stockers usually don’t work
Turn signal switch on last leg if not already broken
Headlight harness/relays

what’s your have you do post purchase list ?(other than usual fluids/service)

My 2 cents..

1. Don't throw anything away or sell any parts until you are finished the car.

2. Don't assume anything new is actually good or operating correctly until installed.

3. If you don't understand how something goes together, don't take it apart unless you have a good replacement.

4. Nothing beats original parts. Replacements come close but not always.

Master cylinder is usually gone or ready to go.

Electronic ignition conversion if not already.

50/50 on valve stem seals.

Adjust kickdown linkage.

Buy ECM and regulator just in case.

...and me personally- remove the height spacers under the seat tracks to get 3/8" more headroom.

If for street duties? Has to be a 4-speed.

I truly believe one misses some of the muscle car experience with an automatic transmission.

Full race is a different story.

1..."Over beers" let all your GM buddies talk you into an LS swap

2...Buy all the **** to do an LS swap

3...Tear apart the car, drop the LS into the car and get it nearly complete

4...Realize that no true Mopar guy will want to buy the car with an LS swap

5....Pull out the LS, scab up all the welding you did with engine mounts

6....Sell all the LS ****

7....Go by all the **** to do a SB/B/RB/426/ 3G..........................................

Buy a service manual for the car! So many questions posted here could be answers by the book. (So at that point they are dumb questions)

plan on much more than you ever thought it would need.

I just bought a 18 year old Cummins, now with a fuel leak under the body that is too big to drive, and the ground is covered with snow so no fun to work on. Who would have thought that would happen. Expect anything.

I bought someone else’s problem they didn’t want to deal with anymore

Last edited:
Careful if you change the fuel sender it might not read correctly. OEM ones are like gold.

After doing all the necessary stuff to get it roadworthy, I look at freshening up the suspension and steering so it doesn't drive like a boat. And exhaust, can't have a 5.2L or bigger V8 trying to exhale through one 2 1/4" pipe. And if it has a 2-barrel carb it inevitably gets converted to 4-bbl. I tend not to mess around with slant-6 stuff they're just way too gutless up here at 5000'+ elevation.

Have to go with gauges too, factory gauges are a joke they don't tell you anything they just give "suggestions". Good aftermarket oil pressure gauge is a must-have for me in pretty much anything older than 1990s. Water temp gauge with ACTUAL number graduations is much more informative too.

Replace the ball joints, bushings, and steering linkage. They are all wore out. And adjust the drum brakes correctly!

-
Back