Where can I find torsion bars?

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
Hey all.
I am switching from a /6 to a 360 in my 71 swinger and need new torsion bars. I am assuming a trip to the junk yard is the best option? And what cars can I steel them from so the swap is the easiest.

Or is not that easy? and what are some alternatives to this?

I read through some threads but didn't find waht I was looking for and my buddy is going to the junk yard Saturday and will watch for anything I need.

thanks!

Oh, well that was easier then I thought. I'll give them a call.

thanks.

That makes sense... I just talked to one of local dodge dealers and he said they may have discontinued them... But he had soem old catalogs and was going to see if he anything laying around... He's going to call me back.

ok he had a set of .890 for big blocks for 350. Ouch. I will shop e-bay.

Mancini Racing has A body torsion bars for $300 a pair plus shipping. If you get yours at the junkyard, make sure you aren't getting /6 bars (.810" in diameter) and mark them left and right. If you swap them side to side they will break. Hope this helps.

I remember reading some where that mopar performance was to end reproduction of torsion bars. Cost of materials, etc.. being their reasons.
Good used ones are out there. Not so easily found or pulled in a bone yard.
If you find them on ebay, wherever , be sure to ask about tool scars and bow.

This may sound dumb but why do you need to change them! Drag racers run a lot of 6 cyl torsion bars,When people convert 6 cylinder cars to V8 engines and they use the Schumacher mounts do they change torsion bars also!I have never converted a car over.I just don't understand why you would have to change them!

I was inder the impression it would improve the ride and performance for handling.

I am not opposed to trying what I got and changing them when I see how they are.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that drag racers dont give a **** about turns, just going straight so they dont really need a heavy torsion bar. Probably looking at a tiny bit of weight savings too. I replaced mine with some "340" bars and it helped a little. If I had it to do over I would get the 890's. Stiffen that sucker up so it'll stay flat!

I will keep an eye out for affordable used V-8 ones... If nothing comes up and the Dart credit card is paid off maybe I'll look into the firmfeel ones posted above. A bit cheaper then the dealers.

slant 6 cars with a/c used the same bars as a 318 would have. I believe that 318s with A/C would have the 340 bars too.

slant 6 bars would be .810
340s are .890

Not sure what the standard 318 bars would be ?

Tell your dealer to look in the Mopar performance catalog.

P5249148 Torsion Bar Set — 0.810" Diameter (A-Body) $349.00

P5249149 Torsion Bar Set — 0.870" Diameter (A-Body) $149.00

P5249150 Torsion Bar Set — 0.890" Diameter (A-Body) $349.00

P5249151 Torsion Bar Set — 0.920" Diameter (A-Body) $349.00

Found it-

t-Bars.jpg

The reason we use the /6 bars in racing is they are the smallest diameter stock bar. Being they are the smallest they will have more twist in them than a larger bar to reach the same ride height. These additional twists means that there is more stored energy to help lift the front ends of a drag car to shift weight to the rear tires.

A stiffer bar will give more cornering ability but will be a harsher (not as soft) a ride as a smaller bar. You can balance nice ride with cornering by installling a sway bar .

Chuck

-
Back