Where do these gaskets go?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm putting the back end of my '66 Dart back together and I think I must be losing my mind. I realize these round white foam gaskets are for the rear bumper, but where exactly do they go? Do they go between the brackets and the mounting points on the car?

Other than the two out ones that actually penetrate into the trunk, why are the four inner ones even needed?

Thanks guys!

1703279042863.png

Thanks. I saw that. They're definitely for the rear bumper brackets. It's just weird that only two of the 6 bumper bracket bolts actually enter the interior of the car, which would warrant a seal (on a '66 Dart at least). Maybe the rear bumpers on other early A's have all 6 enter the interior.
Does your Dart have the corner/side brackets or maybe for the bumperetts

Does your Dart have the corner/side brackets or maybe for the bumperetts

Yes to the side bracket. That's the only place that would make sense to me to put any type of seal on the rear bumper brackets (green arrow) below. The red circles are the other mounting holes for the rear bumper.

They don't go between the bracket and the bumper itself, do they? That wouldn't make sense to me. Maybe I'll thumb through the FSM...

1703291259197.png

Im not familiar with a 66 but there are gaskets just like that on a 72 dart rear bumper bracket. They go between the bracket and the body.

Im not familiar with a 66 but there are gaskets just like that on a 72 dart rear bumper bracket. They go between the bracket and the body.
Thank you. That's what I was figuring. Just seems weird to me that they'd use a gasket at a point where it doesn't really matter if water gets past that surface.

On a '72, do those mounting points go through to the trunk interior? I don't believe so, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks again.

Thank you. That's what I was figuring. Just seems weird to me that they'd use a gasket at a point where it doesn't really matter if water gets past that surface.

On a '72, do those mounting points go through to the trunk interior? I don't believe so, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks again.
IIRC, yes on the '72, and the foam washers may be used to help prevent squeaks & creaks as well as seal.

Yes they do and they are rather large holes. The holes are larger than the bolts so you can move the bumper around for alignment.

-
Back