Where does the red wire go?

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
Edelbrock 1406 electric choke carb. Black wire is assumed to ground to the engine, is there a preferred place to hook the red wire to?

no problem.. i like the idea of the relay in the first link..
I agree, I will take a look at what I've got goin on in my car, shouldn't be hard to hook up. Just hooks to an existing relay? or is the post saying to install one?

Whatever you do, don't cut the red wire!
dead-043.gif

Sorry, just had to do that

I agree, I will take a look at what I've got goin on in my car, shouldn't be hard to hook up. Just hooks to an existing relay? or is the post saying to install one?

no, they want you to add a relay.. basically they say to use the fld wire to trigger the relay.

in the picture above this is what you will want..

30- power from battery. make sure its fused..

85- ground

86- ties in to your fld wire. it will trigger the relay when the car starts..

87- is your red choke wire. it will only get power after the relay is triggered ( car is running)

that make sense?

in the picture above this is what you will want..

30- power from battery. make sure its fused..

85- ground

86- ties in to your fld wire. it will trigger the relay when the car starts..

87- is your red choke wire. it will only get power after the relay is triggered ( car is running)

that make sense?
Ah, yes, oh man without this neat little drawing i'de be lost. actually the drawing confused me until you explained it. I better brush up on my 'lectronics... This is a major help, now I need wire, a fuse, and a relay and i'll be in business!

UPDATE::: I think it's all hooked up right but which connection on the alternator do I wire the relay to? the one on top or the one on side towards the engine?? Also, should the ground wire go the the block or the neg. on the battery? THANKS!

either one of the little fld. wires on the alt should work i believe. the ground can go anywhere as long as its a good ground.

we just hooked the red wire to the ignition side and never had a problem.

It's a little more complicated than this if you have the later dual field connection alternator. One field terminal is hot as soon as the key is turned on and the other one is switched to ground through the regulator. They won't matter if the engine is running or not. The best way is to route power through a switch that turns on when oil pressure comes up. Read Docvettes reply on the hotrodders.com link previously posted.

I,m with 68dodge here. I wouldnt think the choke would be a high current draw neccesitating a relay. I have always hooked the red to a switched hot. Disclaimer:electrical is not my forte. You cant go wrong with a relay though.

been running the red wire for the choke off one of the alternator field wires for years now...

I wasn't saying you couldn't run the choke off the field wire, it's just that the choke will start heating immediately when power is turned on. If the engine doesn't start right away, the choke may open before the engine is running.

-
Back