Where does this go?

-

Pappy3

Reaction score
Putting a Dodge 318 back together. Where does this go?

IMG_0050.jpeg

IMG_0049.jpeg

Behind timing cover in front of chain on crankshaft. It's an oil slinger.
You will have opinions for and against. Sometimes they are VERY close to the chain. I left mine off when rebuilding my 340. Personal preference

On the crank nose between the timing gear and the balancer hub (inside the timing cover). It's called an oil slinger, but it's actually more of a shield to keep oil away from the front seal.

Agree with the above posts, but I always install one on my builds. 65'

Agree with the other posts, but don't put it on backwards. The side with the lip (Your first photo) faces outward, away from the engine.

Your best bet is to install it, it keeps oil from migrating past the dampner seal. Ask me how I know.

If the timing cover hasn’t been installed yet, it goes on as described above.

If the timing cover is already “fully installed”, it goes in the “extra parts” box on the shelf. :)

If the timing cover hasn’t been installed yet, it goes on as described above.

If the timing cover is already “fully installed”, it goes in the “extra parts” box on the shelf. :)
No, timing cover not installed yet. I was thinking that was where this went but it got separated from the cover when I was cleaning and wasn’t sure.

Up your... oh nevermind but you left yourself open LOL!:poke: Oil slinger on crank snout under timing cover...

-
Back