Where is my neutral safety switch

-

GeorgeGerhard

Reaction score
Hello
My 727 seems to be missing the neutral safety switch.
It has been 20 years since I removed a 727, but if I remember correct wasn't it drivers side near the trans cooling lines?
There seems to be a plug at that place.
Appreciate comments

thank you
George G

Yup. '69 and later Torqueflites have a 3-pin switch screwed into the driver's side of the trans. The middle pin is for Neutral Safety; the left and right pins are for the Reverse Light function. Commonly available parts store item.

Do you think because there is a plug where the neutral safety switch goes there could be a problem inside the transmission??

thank you
George

I'll put forth my best guess... its a early trans that used a single post/function switch which is practicly unobtainable. So someone plugged the hole and grounded the starter relay signal wire.

Those '60-'64 and '65-'68 single-pin neutral safety switches are no longer parts store items, but they're certainly not impossible to find. If today I discovered I needed one, I could order it successfully Monday.

Redfish, you are right about the relay grounded.

Ok Slantsixdan
where can I get one, or can I install 3 pin 3 unit?

thanks
George G

Actually I just purchased a Ron Francis wiring kit, and I removed all the wiring yesterday from the car.
73 Dart

Then what do you need the early switch for? The '69-up 3-pin switch is what you need. It's a parts store item.

Thnak you Slantsixdan
Does the neutral safety switch simply screw in? Do you just screw it in til it bottoms out?
What inside the transmission triggers park or neutral, or reverse for the lights

than you much
George

Screw it in snug to seal the gasket, yes. There's a finger on the "rooster comb" on the end of the gear selector shaft, which operates the neutral-safety/reverse light switch.

-
Back