Where is reverse?...

-

67DART340

Reaction score
I just purchased my first A Body Mopar... It's a yellow '67 Dart 170, 2 door sedan (post car which had a 225-6 column shift) and bench seat... It now has, as I was told a '71 Barracuda 340, 4 speed, on the floor, and an 8-3/4 rear... The black shift knob has no pattern on it, and the shifter is a Hurst with a Hurst retangular boot... The shift pattern has reverse to the left and down and a regular "H" pattern with 1st at the top left... Is that a normal pattern for a '71?.. '71 pistol shifters have reverse to the top left, I believe... And the shift knob hits the steering when it goes in reverse... Sorry to be so dumb about this all I've ever known is big block auto B Bodies ('cept for my '71 GTX 440 4 speed, which I don't remember the pattern, pistol shifter-sold it 3 years ago)... Miss it... Thanks for any info...

Welcome to the site! :cheers: All a-833 trans had reverse to the top/forward left. Was the trans from a E-body or B-body? Sounds like it was, you may need to get one from an A-body car, A,B,E cars all had different shifter locations, A-body cars also has a trans with a shorter tailshaft with the shifter mounting more toward the rear. Check out this link...

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

You can make reverse either way just buy fliping the lever on the trans that the sift rod mounts to. I think it should be Left and away from you though.

That's really interesting... When I was under the car, I believe the shifter was near the end of the tail shaft and one of the shift rods was way low and went under the tranny cross member... Thanks for the help and info...

Reverse in a standard configuration should be pull the lever towards you and forward towards the dash.

If the tab on the trans is flipped then towards you and pull back.

The reverse arm on the shifter should be the longest and closest to the centerline of the car.

Well, if the weather clears up, I will be back under the car to check it out... Thanks again for all your help.... I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask later...

I'll bet that the rectangular link on the trans is upside down, just take the nut off and flip it around, my '73 roadrunner years ago had the same problem when i bought it. I really love those 4 speeds!

Since this was not the car's original configuration, I'm wondering if it was reversed for a clearance or placement reason.... I guess I'll know more once I get back underneath the car... Thanks again for all the suggestions.... It sure is far better to ask someone who knows more about this stuff, but I'm learning...

A '67 2-door post coupe is sure hard to find these days! Good for you! You got some very good responses from Mopar fans too. A '71 Cuda is an E-body and your '67 is an A-body. The E-body 4-speed is not user friendly in an A-body because of the mount and the length of the tailhousing. The E-body trans is a bout 20 lbs heavier too. It would require a much shorter custom driveshaft to be used in your car. As another person told you, E-body four speeds have dual shifter mounts. This was done so that the same tranny could be used in the '70 and up B-bodies (like a Roadrunner). The reverse ear on all the New Process 4-speeds is at the lowest position and at the rear. The shifter arm runs from the shifter UNDER the transmission mount to the ear. When the ear is in the proper position (down), you push the shifter over towards your leg and then forward toward the dash. It's the only way to go. The A-body 4-speeds are the lightest and they are super tuff! It takes a little more effort to shift 833s than a Muncie or Borg Warner but it is worth it. You can also go to BigBlockDart.com and get comprehensive information. Enjoy that rare little A-body!
Pat

Left and forward, my '72 Duster was the same. I don't think any of the older Mopars used a differant pattern. If my '56 was a floor shift it would have been the same ( only a 3spd.)

I got under the car today... Here's what I found... The tranny ID pad had the following: PP8336857 and 7B176942 casting 18803 dated 7-23-76... The tail shaft casting was 013386 dated 8-31-76... It also seems to have a couple of leaks, but not to sure from where at this point... So, it seems there's a lot of mixed parts in this car, with the motor being a 340 cast in 5-31-72... Thanks for the great feedback, you guys know your stuff!!!!...

Its An 833OD Tranny. The 3 & 4 Lever Is Turned Upside Down For A Reason. I Have One In Mine. They Work Great For The Street And Great On The HWY, Do To Having An Overdrive Gear.

Does any one have an idea what it came from or where I can look up parts older than 1974 (most of my books stop in 74)?.. I've posted 3 pictures of the 833 tranny linkage... Thanks to all...

:cheers:This has been a learning experience for me... Even thought I was told my 4 speed tranny was a 71, I've learned that it is a 76 4 speed OD type... The reverse shift lever on the tranny case is in the down position, which is what caused the reverse to be to the left and down (shift knob hits stearing wheel also)... That should be in the up position to correct the reverse pattern... But, I also understand that the 1-2 case lever should be up and the 3-4 should be in the down position on the OD tranny, only... On my tranny the 3-4 lever is also up as on the pre 75 regular 4 speed... Which means when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd I was actually going into 4th (that explains the engine loading) and when I shifted to 4th, I was going into 3rd... How do you like them apples... Hey, if I flip the 1-2 lever, I can have a totally flipped shift pattern... Thank you every one for their help and the web site: http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

-
Back