Where is the happening place to buy slant parts

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to overhaul a slant six. Keyword: overhaul.

I'm looking to change rings, bearings, and bearings.

But sourcing parts is proving to be kinda challenging compared to the last time I did this around 2015.

It seems like prices are up shipping times are long and not every source is one stop shop anymore.

Also seems like STD. Sized parts are harder to find than .020, .030. And etc.

So where are you sourcing your parts like rings, gaskets, bearings, and that kind of stuff?

I get all my stuff hawkin ebay. I look for OLD NOS rings and bearings. Hastings, Sealed Power, Michigan just to name a few brands.

Am I getting the impression, they don't make that stuff anymore?
Yeah it's still made new. But there's no tellin where it's made. Finding old NOS parts assures you get quality American made parts.

Yeah it's still made new. But there's no tellin where it's made. Finding old NOS parts assures you get quality American made parts.
The thing I'm seeing about ebay is most of the rod bearings available are 1976 to 1987 so I don't think they can be used on 68 engine

Are "moly" rings the right ones to get? I didn't see any listed under "cast"

Yup. That's what I use. There are better ones, but you're not running a race car. Moly rings are good for that too, IMO.
Cool, thanks for the info.

All I need are the rod bearings now

Screenshot_20240810_172531_Chrome.jpg

You may look at Egge Machine Company too. They have been around for a long time.

As far as "moly" rings the moly is a coating. They're still cast. What I don't see anymore for much of any engine anymore are chrome rings.

Cool, thanks for the info.

All I need are the rod bearings now

View attachment 1716287584
Princess Val
So I'm trying to overhaul a slant six. Keyword: overhaul.

I'm looking to change rings, bearings, and bearings.

But sourcing parts is proving to be kinda challenging compared to the last time I did this around 2015.

It seems like prices are up shipping times are long and not every source is one stop shop anymore.

Also seems like STD. Sized parts are harder to find than .020, .030. And etc.

So where are you sourcing your parts like rings, gaskets, bearings, and that kind of stuff?
Princess Valiant , were you able to get in touch with the seller of the W2 stuff there in Colorado Springs ?
I PMd you but no response from you or the seller .….

I bought all my /6 parts between eBay, rock auto and members here, and on the /6 forum. Nothing from local parts stores or the machine shop. Not that I didn't call and ask the local parts stores for them....

Princess Val

Princess Valiant , were you able to get in touch with the seller of the W2 stuff there in Colorado Springs ?
I PMd you but no response from you or the seller .….
Left you a voice message and the number went from no answer to out of service so I am going to say you avoided a scam. I let the local sheriff's office know about that phone number.

This motor must have not been used much. Very minimal ridge and the bearings are dated 11 67 and it's a 68 engine from a 68 dart.

Started honing but ran out of time for today

20240815_195322.jpg

20240815_195309.jpg

Make sure your cross hatch is 60 degrees or near. The steaper... the more oil it'll eat...the flatter... the less oil the hatch will hold and the rings will wear faster and sealing is up in the air.

If you need a timing chain, almost everyone has gone to one source that casts a thin three spoke cam sprocket. These reportedly have issues if you go past 4000 rpm on a regular basis. The exception is the JP / Roll-Master double row timing chain set, which is the one you want for a performance build.

I got an nos MP one from eBay for my build. Also have a brand new/built probably 30+to cloyes double roller set around here somewhere.
I heard good things about something called "IWIS"(something like that) chain which I saw the MP chain marked with that so I went with that one. Mine's in a truck though. Probably won't see 4k rpm very much...

This engine is going into a 67 valiant 4 door that will probably never see over 4k rpm coming and going to king soopers and hauling stuff from the Walmart. :realcrazy::p:p

-
Back