Where is the nut?

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
I have a bit of play in my steering wheel and I'm trying to remove some of the slack from the power steering box. I read there is supposed to be a nut there that can be turned to tighten or loosen the steering slack. The only obvious nut I see is circled in red, but isn't that the adjustment for centering the power steering....?

Attachments

• powersteering.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 276
the circled nut is correct for taking slack out of the box, the fitting with the hoses, attached with the two bolts, slides back and forth for centering..

When adjusting that nut/bolt, wheels should be centred.. nut is a jam nut,, adjust the bolt with allen key,, and too much tightening causes binding in the strg box..

cheers

Loosen the jam nut and turn the center bolt clockwise to tighten.. Do not over do it, and as said make sure your wheels are centered.

Any time I have done it it usually isn't much more than half a turn. If you go to far you will probably notice what feels like something catching when you steer the car.

Clean it off with a wire brush well, insert the correct allen wrench in the center bolt and hold it from turning while you back the jam nut off. I personally make a eighth to a quarter turn, then road test, as stated by others usually about a half turn will get ya there. BUT make sure the slop is in the box and NOT elsewhere, ohh so many a time i have seen the boxes over adjusted in order to compensate for sloppy steering, makes for a not so ideal to a dangerous steering situation. If you go to far it will tend to wana "dart" one way or the other with little to no use of the steering wheel, again check and double check everything before making adjustment to the box... just my two cents and hope this helps ya..

-
Back