Where is the tach on a 68 dart?

-
Never came with a dash mounted tach from the factory. I believe you could have ordered one that mounted to the front of the floor console near the shifter but you would have to have ordered the console too.

The reason I was asking this question, is because I looked at a GTS that listed a tach on the fender tag. Well, I bought the car, and would really like to find out more about this. There is no sign of a tach, or even a place where one may have been mounted on the console.

Does anyone have a picture of a factory tach setup in a 68 GTS?

Not the best picture but look in front of the shifter, you can see the factory tach, FYI, you could also have ordered a clock option, it looked just like the tach but had a different face, also mounted in this location. Your console top should have some holes for this, if not the lid was probably changed cause often people don't think this is correct and replace it with a diffefent console top plate. Does your car have the console yet? Maybe pull it and see it the original wiring harness is there, hopefully it is!

ATGTSinterior_1.jpg

Here is a picture of the console tach, the console cover would possibly have 2 small screw holes and one larger hole for the wires to go through. I believe there is also a bracket that the tach rests on.

mvc-2631879s.jpg

More info for you.......:cheers:

The A body consoles have a large lip on either side so the console tach requires the mounting of the tach on a riser block with the tach gasket ( small flat plastic piece that allows for the tach to assume one of 2 two positions) sandwiched in between the block and tach mounting area. The tach has a threaded tube type mount protruding from the bottom of its casing the tube goes through the gasket and block and then the nut and spring tighten on the underside of the block. The underside of the block has 3 threaded holes which screws thread into from the underside of the console top to attach the assembly to the console top.

These tachs were common on alot of A, B, & C-body 67-69 models, maybe even 1966. Here is a pic of the spacer that is needed for the A-body.

acnslbl2.jpg

Thanks for the pic.

There are no holes on top of the console. Also, my comsole is not woodgrain, it is chrome. Was the woodgrain an option, or is my console incorrect for a 68 GTS?
Or could it be that the woodgrain was peeled off?

I think in 1968 they had no woodgrain, just chrome with the silver painted top. Maybe 69 it was standard or an option? I think the pic I posted was from a 1969 Dart GTS. My guess is that if your car had that tach, it is now missing and the original shifter cover was replaced.

-
Back