Where should the weights on my torque converter be in corolation with my motor at TDC

-
The above is absolutely INcorrect.

The TQ only bolts up one way, as the bolt pattern is skewed for that reason. The weighted converter is to balance a 360 engine which is externally balanced, and if used with a manual box, needs a special flywheel.

wow...I am sucking out today. I hate it when I have bad info. Would there be weights on a TQ used on a 318? I could have sworn there were weights, other than the bolt blocks, welded to mine. It's been a while since I looked at it so I could be mis-remembering

wow...I am sucking out today. I hate it when I have bad info. Would there be weights on a TQ used on a 318? I could have sworn there were weights, other than the bolt blocks, welded to mine. It's been a while since I looked at it so I could be mis-remembering
318 convertors are neutral balanced because the 318 itself is INTERNALLY balanced. I did however have to have weights put on mine because of a vibration problem. If the 318 is properly built and balanced then your TQ is supposed to be Neutral (not heavier at any given point).

I'm not sure about the later magnums, but I don't think anything except 360's had the "big weights."

You weren't completely wrong. Torque converters have weights on the outer perimeter of them to balance the converter. If it's a converter used behind a 318 it shouldn't have a weight(s) on the engine side between the bolt blocks. The ones on that side are to balance an externally balanced engine. 360's and cast crank 340's were the only small blocks that were externally balanced.

I can post a picture of a magnum flex plate showing the position of the weights if this will help you.

Thank You everyone for the advice! My swap is now complete and running great! Turns out that the weights go 180 from the offset weight on the harmonic balancer, and the comment about how the flew plate will only bolt on one way is 100% correct! Thanks again everyone!

thank God you found the information you needed, some people should not post when they don't have a clue.....please if you don't know what you are talking about don't remove the doubt by speaking up

waggin said:
thank God you found the information you needed, some people should not post when they don't have a clue.....please if you don't know what you are talking about don't remove the doubt by speaking up

Amen. I sure didn't know the answer....but after reading the posts I concluded that the TQ is externally balanced in an internally balanced 318. Sometimes on a LA 360....but always on a magnum 360...but usually that's on the flexplate. Obliously kidding......

Good advice.. I try to post as little as possible:toothy8:. (I'm kidding... kind of) but seriously... there is sooo much I don't know, I prefer to sit back and learn from the guys that have been doing this for 15-20-30+ years! I've got nothing to prove, and lots to learn. :finga: FABO has saved me soo much grief, many times over. -Thanks

-
Back