where to buy 8 3/4 for 1970 Duster

-

ultimatejay

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am in the process of converting my slant 6 Duster into a 440 big block and have been looking for options for rear end and there's not a lot of options on where to buy without selling a kidney. The car will be used for mostly street with occasional strip driving, motor is going to be about 550hp. I would like to buy either 8 3/4 or Dana 60 but think the 8 3/4 would be fine. Does anyone know where I can buy one complete with posi and disc brakes?

spoiler, if you want one compete and new and with discs you'll be selling a kidney.

personally i'd go dana. doctor diff can hook it up with a spec built piece.

on a 8.75, if you're in a hustle mindset, you can grab housings and axles pretty easy off CL/offer up, and then source a center from speedway, dr. diff, etx and then choose your own adventure on discs.

that's the cheapest, but involves some rigamarole and minimal wrench swinging.

with the 8.75, it all hinges on the housing. get one of thems and everything else is easy to come by

A body rear ends are around,,but they are not plentiful .
Keep looking and you should find one,,,,shop around ,,,if the price is too high,,,keep looking.

I’m making my own housing,,,I’m cutting down a Dana I have,,,,,I already have everything,,,I just need to finish the cut and weld on the new ends .

I had bought a b body housing for an 8 3/4,,,,but I decided to use the Dana after I found my axles downstairs.
I have many parts stashed away and I had forgotten about the new Strange axles I had bought years ago at the Nats .

Tommy

Honestly, if you are going 8.75 just buy a C - body for cheap and cut it to your likings, equipped to your likings. Same with a Dana. You'll want upgraded axles and the 4.5 bolt pattern anyways.

spoiler, if you want one compete and new and with discs you'll be selling a kidney.

personally i'd go dana. doctor diff can hook it up with a spec built piece.

on a 8.75, if you're in a hustle mindset, you can grab housings and axles pretty easy off CL/offer up, and then source a center from speedway, dr. diff, etx and then choose your own adventure on discs.

that's the cheapest, but involves some rigamarole and minimal wrench swinging.

with the 8.75, it all hinges on the housing. get one of thems and everything else is easy to come by
X2. No way in hell would I pay what someone will want for an A body specific 8 3/4 with "all that". I'd call Dr Diff too. Dana.

OR you can do the cheaper and more plentiful thing like I am doing. Ford 9".

heretic!

sharpen ye pitch forks! grab the torches! get the stakes! we can drive this monster back!!

(just kidding, a 9" spec'd out would be a viable affordable alternative)
THE most swapped in rear axle ever. For good reason. lol

I sell narrowed housings and have a complete 8 3/4 also for sale now, but with drums and an open carrier. I’m in San Jose, CA.

IMG_1995.jpeg

IMG_1861.jpeg

I have a 68-70 B body housing that I'm going to be selling once I pull the gears out of it. $100.
I'm in St George Utah

20240927_161417.jpg

20240927_161434.jpg

Hi everyone, I am in the process of converting my slant 6 Duster into a 440 big block and have been looking for options for rear end and there's not a lot of options on where to buy without selling a kidney. The car will be used for mostly street with occasional strip driving, motor is going to be about 550hp. I would like to buy either 8 3/4 or Dana 60 but think the 8 3/4 would be fine. Does anyone know where I can buy one complete with posi and disc brakes?
If you want all NEW, ready to bolt in, with a SureGrip (no "posi" allowed), equipped the way you want it, Moser has 'em. BUT- grab your ankles, they're not cheap.
MOPAR 8 3/4" STAMPED HOUSING MUSCLEPAK - Moser Engineering
Otherwise, seriously consider a Ford 8.8- tough rear, 5x4.5 bolt circle, minimal mods, limited slip with decent gears, and disc brakes at salvage yard prices.
8.8 swap

I have plenty of A and B body rears
Also 9 inch fords
Plus many 3 members and axles etc.
I will be racing in Bakersfield and could\bring them.

What part of California are you in?

I dunno if what I paid was normal, cheap, or expensive but I found a clean a body housing with stock SBP axles for 600. I picked it up since finding one locally is not really a thing. I could have probably found a housing for a different platform and had it narrowed but I wanted a drop in solution. Picked up a center section and brakes from some fellow members. While the whole assembly wasn’t “cheap” after all that .. it was far cheaper than solutions from Moser and so on. About half the price even. There’s a guy on eBay selling A body housings with new BBP axles with bearing for $1500..it’s an option for some who can afford it.

If a person can weld and really wanted to pinch pennies, they could narrow up a 8.8 from a mustang or explorer. I can’t so, I went to a route I can bolt together.

I dunno if what I paid was normal, cheap, or expensive but I found a clean a body housing with stock SBP axles for 600. I picked it up since finding one locally is not really a thing. I could have probably found a housing for a different platform and had it narrowed but I wanted a drop in solution. Picked up a center section and brakes from some fellow members. While the whole assembly wasn’t “cheap” after all that .. it was far cheaper than solutions from Moser and so on. About half the price even. There’s a guy on eBay selling A body housings with new BBP axles with bearing for $1500..it’s an option for some who can afford it.

If a person can weld and really wanted to pinch pennies, they could narrow up a 8.8 from a mustang or explorer. I can’t so, I went to a route I can bolt together.
That used to be a bend you over and make you squeal price, but now that's decent. Sad, ain't it?

That used to be a bend you over and make you squeal price, but now that's decent. Sad, ain't it?
Only real downside to the deal was the 8hr round trip to Mississippi lol. It was my best option.. just required a lil road trip. They’re kinda like gold now. Well if you’re not gonna narrow a b or c body housing

-
Back