Where to buy neutral safety switch, '68 Dart?

-

MOBodyman

Reaction score
Mine has one wire going to it. The switch has one stud and a nut to fasten the wire. The only type listed by my local parts store has 3 pins and uses a push-on connector.
TIA,
Dallas

Mine has one wire going to it. The switch has one stud and a nut to fasten the wire. The only type listed by my local parts store has 3 pins and uses a push-on connector.
TIA,
Dallas
I got one some where let me find it and I will sell it to you for $20.00...It should look like this....

IMG00159-20100406-1619.jpg

They haven't made them in yrs. that I know of. You need to find a good used one or NOS part. Or you can use the new 3 pin switch by just connecting the wire to the middle prong. Works the same. The new style switches only cost about $10 from Autozone.

I bought one from the local parts store but it was the 3 pin type. They insisted they had looked it up for a '68, and I guess they did, I just didn't realize at the time there were 2 styles in '68.
I would like to use the original type if possible instead of modifying a 3 pin one.
bremereric, is yours new or used?
I had the trans gone through because it had several leaks. I'm afraid the switch will leak also as the plastic part will turn inside the housing.
Dallas

I bought one from the local parts store but it was the 3 pin type. They insisted they had looked it up for a '68, and I guess they did, I just didn't realize at the time there were 2 styles in '68.
I would like to use the original type if possible instead of modifying a 3 pin one.
bremereric, is yours new or used?
I had the trans gone through because it had several leaks. I'm afraid the switch will leak also as the plastic part will turn inside the housing.
Dallas

I'm nearly positive that in 68 Mopar only used a single pin switch so I think the auto parts store was wrong. It wasn't until 69 they used the 3 prong switch. I find auto parts stores are wrong a lot on old iron like ours.

As far as the switch leaking, I have worked on numerous trans. leaks over the last 28 yrs. and never found even one switch leaking through the plastic. Not saying it can't happen but I don't think it's a very high possibility.

I'm nearly positive that in 68 Mopar only used a single pin switch so I think the auto parts store was wrong. It wasn't until 69 they used the 3 prong switch. I find auto parts stores are wrong a lot on old iron like ours.

As far as the switch leaking, I have worked on numerous trans. leaks over the last 28 yrs. and never found even one switch leaking through the plastic. Not saying it can't happen but I don't think it's a very high possibility.

I agree about the info you get from the parts stores, not very accurate much of the time. I got the info about the early-late switches off of the internet somewhere, which can be about as accurate as the parts stores. lol

Besides leaking I was worried that my switch was defective as they had it unplugged at the starter relay and a short wire run from the relay blade to ground. I had never noticed but I assume that would let it start with the shifter in any position.

Dallas

Besides leaking I was worried that my switch was defective as they had it unplugged at the starter relay and a short wire run from the relay blade to ground. I had never noticed but I assume that would let it start with the shifter in any position.

Dallas

Ok. That is a sign it was possibly bad. My car was bypassed when I got it and they didn't tell me. I found out by nearly making a rear entry in the garage one day when I accidentally left it in drive after working on it. Scared the crap out of me needless to say. I fixed the switch immediately.

take it apart, i did with mine, its easy, just very carfuly openn up the crimping over the top, only a little, then pull the top out, are you sure it is knackered,

take it apart, i didf withmine, its easy, just very carfuly openn up the crimping over the top, only a little, then pull the top out, are you sure it is knackered

Not completely sure it's bad. But it may have been leaking and it was bypassed so I'm thinking it needs to be replaced.
Dallas

you know there are no contacts inside the switch, the plunger on the end of the switch actullay makes a earth curcuit with the metal arm in the box, so make sure your box (trany ) has a good earth ,if leaking, clean off top with solvent or degreaser, then cover in epoxy resin

-
Back