where to buy paint?

-
OK, DuPonts new formula number for Y3 Harvest Gold is 44129F. It's a national fleet color now. This should get you close but it might need to be tinted for an exact match to your car. Hope this helps.

Tinting? I rather not go through the hassle. I wish there was a place with the original paint can be mixed. hmm Im going to try the engine bay cleaning first. Maybe by that time I will find a local place that can make the paint. Thanks guys i will look into all these places.

There has never been a guaranteed exact match when mixing paint. There's to many variables. Go to a paint store with this DuPont number and have them mix you a half pint and then take that home to see how close it is. Or better yet see if they have a color chip you can use to match to your car, but this formula number will be the place to start.

Dllas we use Chroma Premier. Reds and whites seem to be the worst for transparency, many are 2 to 1 mix ratios o help with coverage. Silvers and black cover the best. With DuPont it is critical to use the correct value shade sealer. In our shop we rarely do complete paint jobs although we do have two in the shop from storm damage.
I'll try to get a formula for JY3 in single stage and basecoat today.

I think I'm going to try ChromaPremier if the local store can mix it. Evidently it covers much better than the Chromabase. Material cost is killing me. I do Valueshade seal 99% of the vehicles I paint but it still takes a lot of paint most of the time. And it sure seems like it doesn't cover like it used to.

74Burntorange, do as Aeromonte says and try a small amount, you may like it just fine. The thing is, these cars are 40 years old and the paint doesn't look like it did when it was new anyway, even if it's still pretty nice. Some of the color gradually bleaches out and it will change shade, even if it's only slightly. And, using the engine compartment as a color guide isn't necessarily a good idea as coverage was very haphazard and it may not reflect the true color of the exterior either.
Quality control wasn't too great back then, either. I can remember years ago having 2 vehicles at the shop at the same time for some paint work. They were the same year, same paint code, and original paint, and sitting side by side you would swear they had to be different colors, the shade was so different.
Another thing to keep in mind is two different batches of the same color from the same store could possibly vary slightly due to several different reasons.
IIRC, Y3 in '73 was a one year only color with a unique formula (they may have used Y3 in other years with a different formula, can't remember, and don't have my color charts here at home) but Ma Mopar must have thought it would be a popular color since that's the color of the Duster on the cover of the sales brochure.
Good luck,
Dallas

-
Back