Where To Find 10" Shoes

-

lostcuda

Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster with 10" drum up front & 9" drum in rear. I know I can get the 9" but am having a hard time finding the correct 10" shoes. Most of the suppliers have shoes that have a rectangular upper spring hole not a round hole. Because of this, the spring won't secure itself in the rectangular hole. Below are pics of the current front brakes, notice the top round holes.

Anyone know where I can get the correct front 10" shoes for my Duster?

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn194/mccuda/brake2_zpsda1b2ff6.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn194/mccuda/brakes_zps578aa1bd.jpg

I can't help on where to get them. But thanks for the heads up on that as I will be getting brake parts for my 67 with 10" drums, in the next couple weeks.

are you getting the same width shoe as the original?? I cant imagine what the shape of the hole has to do with the spring, holding the shoe in place,,,but im not there to view it,,, you can either check a local napa store??? look at rock auto.com
or drill the hole with a drill bit thats close to the size just to round the hole out and not make it too big that the spring wont grab a hold,,, just my 2 cents

I also don't understand why the spring will not stay in the rectangle hole. Shouldn't matter because the rectangle is not any larger than the round. Must be a problem with your spring.

Guess I should have taken a pic of the new shoe. The rectangular hole is larger diameter than the original top hole so the loop on the spring has no way to stay in place. That is the only difference in the shoes. Here is an example, notice the top rectangular hole then compare it to the current brakes via the link below.

mtBoVFR2L8D6LEsPI2cUGPA.jpg

9" and 10" shouldn't have been installed on any car from the factory. Those look like the 72 back shoes. See if anyone has a set of 332 brake shoes in your area and compare them to what you have.

Attachments

• 332_032712.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 219
try front drum brakes for a 65-72 10" set-up, I think the square hole is for the 73-76 style. Lawrence

Thanks guys, this 73 Duster did come with 10" up front and 9" in the rear from the factory. I guess I can always use/send the pics to the seller and have them match it to make sure I get the right set. The only problem is with the high volume distributors that pull from a central warehouse, they can't compare them.

There's a good chance the rear end got changed in your car at some time thus the mis-match in shoe sizes. Most NAPA stores can generate a photo of the part on the computer so you can see what it looks like. My local store still has catalogs to look and compare. As stated, try a older or newer year listing. good luck. tmm

Guess I should have taken a pic of the new shoe. The rectangular hole is larger diameter than the original top hole so the loop on the spring has no way to stay in place. That is the only difference in the shoes. Here is an example, notice the top rectangular hole then compare it to the current brakes via the link below.

mtBoVFR2L8D6LEsPI2cUGPA.jpg

Check www.RockAuto.com

They show both the round and square upper spring hole for the 73+ 10" front shoes.
The front drums are the "ribbed" type, right?

Attachments

• DSC04126b.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 178
There's a good chance the rear end got changed in your car at some time thus the mis-match in shoe sizes. Most NAPA stores can generate a photo of the part on the computer so you can see what it looks like. My local store still has catalogs to look and compare. As stated, try a older or newer year listing. good luck. tmm

I have one on the hill that is that way. 10" in the front and 9" on the back on a 1968 Dart. Bought it from the second owner who had the 7 1/4 rearend swapped out because it went bad when the car was around 5 years old. Pretty common to see these rearends swapped out.

Yes, replaced the spring kits they were easy to find at most any parts store.

After reading the replies, and varying information, the people and their knowledge is what makes the A Bodies site a great site. I realize this wasn't my thread, but have to say thanks to all for your knowledge.

1973-76 Duster with front drum brakes: 10" front and 9" rear

All disc brake cars had 10" drums in the rear though I heard on another site a member had one with 11"

-
Back