Where to find a new replacement radiator for a 1973 Duster?

-

timk225

Reaction score
I'm working on my 1973 Duster 225 /6 car. The radiator looked pretty good from the outside, no obvious corrosion or anything, but I had it at the local radiator shop getting cleaned out and checked, and they said that the more they got into it, the worse it was. Surprised but disappointed.

I took a quick look online and saw nothing but a bunch of aluminum / plastic tank single row crossflow radiators.

Anyone know where to find a copper / brass downflow unit, at least somewhat similar to the OE radiator? Mine was a 22 inch wide 2 row, because it is an A/C car.

I bought a Spectra CU526, from SummitRacing, back in March of 2019 (for $177.99). I haven't had any issues with it. This is on my '71 Dart GT relatively fresh stock rebuilt 318, 4-bbl, auto, MP Viscous Fan, and factory shroud.

Fresh Pass Side.JPEG

You can also check out US Radiator.

I went to Summit and ordered a Spectra CU511, along with a 7 pound lever vent radiator cap. I always ran 7 pound caps back in the day. Should be here in a few days. Thanks for the tips.

22" replacement radiator for '73 Duster /6 from Rock Auto... aluminum, factory bolt in.

Screenshot_20240828-183706_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Thanks for the tips. I got the Spectra CU511 today. It looks like it'll be okay, I went and test fitted it. The tubes are 18 inches tall as opposed to 17 on the old radiator. Total height from radiator cap sealing ridge to bottom tank of 23-1/2" as opposed to 22-1/2" on the old one. Plus the mounting holes don't quite line up, so I will have to drill 2 of them. The radiator clears the hood without a cap on, but it'll be tight, so I'm going to bend down that lower radiator support about an inch for a little clearance, and drop the radiator down about 3/4". That should be enough to clear everything without major modifications. I've got about an inch to the fan blades, maybe a bit more. Plus there's no mounts for the fan shroud, so I'll have to see about that, maybe leave it out. Then the only other issue is the upper inlet is on the drivers side, so I'll have to piece together an upper hose to get around the A/C pulley. But I'll make it work.

-
Back