Where To Find Military Records

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I'm looking for my dad's military records and was hoping someone could help me find them. I know that he served 11 months in Korea in the 1st Marine Division as a navel gunfire spotter and radio-telephone operator. And that he was discharged from Camp Pendleton. That's all I know right now but would like to find out more information.
Thanks.

Please be aware that many records have been lost over the years due to serious fires that occurred in several of the facilities that stored these records. I know my own Vietnam-era records are no longer available. Good luck to you and my thanks to your Dad for serving.

Or just lost when your tour is up.. Conveniently all my wife's medical records were lost when her deployment to Iraq was over. Really sucks because she has some issues that are related to her deployment but the crappy VA is denying her all her claims saying they are not related at all. Even though if she had her medical records all that documentation was right there, when the issues started. Frustrating that the military loses important documents like that.

Funny I just came from visting Gramma, she is 93. Still a spitfire for sure. I would like to find some info on her brother who was in the Navy. I met him almost 27 years ago in San Diego and he showed me pics of him on a US Navy ship recovering the capsule from the 1st Manned Apolla Mission. I tried google with no luck yet, I would love to be able to give Gramma some more info about him. Oh and when I met him in the back driveway was a 68 GTS! LOL

Please be aware that many records have been lost over the years due to serious fires that occurred in several of the facilities that stored these records. I know my own Vietnam-era records are no longer available. Good luck to you and my thanks to your Dad for serving.

This info, sadly, is correct. My father's and grandfather's records were lost. http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/fire-1973.html

I would still request the information, but be prepared that the info may no longer be available. Good luck, and let us know if you find anything!

Looks like I'll have to do some homework as I don't have hardly any info on his service number or even the SS number.

-
Back