Where to get AC hoses rebuilt?

-

twister360

Reaction score
I have a 74 Duster with original AC and need to have the 2 rubber hoses and 1 steel line restored. I will be converting to 134 and can't find a local shop to make the repairs. Any suggestions?

Thanks. Gary

Are you trying to keep it 100% original or something? Any good automotive a/c shop should be able to make up some new hoses for you.
C

Hey, I still have a 30 pounder of R12 if you want to keep it that way.

Are you trying to keep it 100% original or something? Any good automotive a/c shop should be able to make up some new hoses for you.
C

I only want to have my hoses rebuilt since they are the originals and this will be a driver. It gets really hot in south Louisiana and I want to be ready. I know the 2 rubber hoses have minor leaks and the metal hose that runs along the top of the fender is rusty and I'm not sure if it will hold pressure.
What is the process of building new hoses. Are the original ends reused with new rubber goods or is the entire hose fabricated as the original with all components new.

What do you think the cost would be to replace all 3?

Thanks. Gary

Hi,

Usually just the rubber hose is replaced using the original metal ends. If the metal is rusted out you may have to find better original hoses to rebuild. The metal lines have compressor fittings and mufflers on them and those pieces are not reproduced.

Here are two pics of my '72 driver. The underdash unit and condenser are original to the car. Everything in between has been changed out. My A/C man simply made up the hoses. The ends are standard size fittings and are pressed onto the ends of the hoses. I helped him do it, it wasn't difficult but you have to have the equipment to do it.
I had a radiator shop pressure test the evaporator (I couldn't find a new one) and condenser, my man flushed out the evaporator and condenser to make sure they were good and clean. After assembly it was vacuumed to test for leaks and then charged up.
I can't help you on cost. It won't be cheap, but it will be worth it.
C

Attachments

• DSCF9892.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF9893.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 120
I had the rubber AC hoses replaced in my 65 Newport in the 1990's for <$10 each at a hydraulic shop in Atlanta. I recall he even put new metal fittings on. But that was non-factory AC (York compressor). There are a few hydraulic shops around me that might do it now, but I expect high prices. I have so several cars to fix AC so I bought a Master-Cool crimper on ebay and assorted hose and fittings. When done, I can probably sell the crimper for not much more than I paid.

-
Back