Which 360?

-

70net440

Reaction score
Looking for a donor for my son's 70 Swinger. Spotted a couple at a local wrecking yard. one has casting number 3418496 the other looks like 1008830-360-1(had to stick my phone down in the engine campartment to get a picture because it's still in the motorhome) I think I decoded them to be one early 70's and the other mid-late 70's. Is either more or less desirable. The early one had a 2 barrel intake on it. Not sure what it came out of it's sitting in the back of a pickup that still has it's original motor in it. They want $200 plus a core charge. Does this sound reasonable? Seems a bit steep for a rebuilder.

Earlier one. What's the core charge? I just bought one a while back for 3 bills. Looking at buying another as soon as the guy gets back to me.

I would be searching your local Craigslist auto parts section. The sellers there are usually more motivated to get the engine out of their garage, and therefore more willing to work with you on price. They also don't charge a core charge.

Most salvage yards, at least around here, think their junk is made of gold and don't give a damn whether you buy from them or not.

360-1.. heard that would be a first run casting (-1) and very desirable
360-9...run Forest run!
but don't know myself.

Find a late 80s/early 90s LA 360 Roller Block, you'll be miles ahead of the game. You can find them in pickups and vans

Find a late 80s/early 90s LA 360 Roller Block, you'll be miles ahead of the game. You can find them in pickups and vans

gotta agree with that...

between the other two. personally i don't think it really matters. both will get the job done..

Thanks for the replies. Thought about looking for a roller block. Are there any outside clues to know if a block is roller or not? Numbers or other markings?

date code on the outside of the block. i believe the 89 360 was the start for a roller block. 318 came a couple years earlier.

What are you looking for in a motor? May be cheaper to find a runner than buy a core and make it a runner. Part of that depends on your abilities and what your going to do with it.

Last post,X2. Check out the Mopar 380/360 crate motor.Add a good cam,intake usually 370 to 420 h.p. A Magnum truck long block,the same exact engine,minus cam/intake. Heads,might be cracked,8 bills buys new heads,that outflow stock J and X castings.Check it out,just a suggestion.Yes,I own one.

This will be a mostly street motor. Besides a B&M flexplate, what else is different between a 340 and 340? Oil pan? We have some more detective work to do to the 340 before we declare it dead. Just thinking ahead.

Which 360 cam be summed up with;

Cheapest
Will clean up with the least overbore
And IMO a roller cammed LA because you can use a Magnum head on a LA block but not the reverse and use a roller cam easy.

Thanks, Rumblefish that makes a lot of sense. I assume the roller cammed LA blocks use a mechanical fuel pump?

Thanks, Rumblefish that makes a lot of sense. I assume the roller cammed LA blocks use a mechanical fuel pump?

Depends. If they had TBI then no. The TBI engine had an in the tank fuel pump and a pressure regulator and return on the TBI unit. There is a block off plate on the timing chain cover. My TBI roller 318 had a block plate but it also had the eccentric on the cam. Came out of an 88-89 Ramcharger.

-
Back