Which 360

-

Swinger71

Reaction score
I am looking for a 360 to do a stroker motor I called the local yards and I have 3 options all the same price.

74 - out of a NewYorker (carb)
84 - out of a 3/4 ton (carb)
89 - out of a 3/4 ton (FI)

I was leaning to the 89 as i should be a roller cam, Right?
What other things should I look for? What would likely have the best heads?

I would get the 89FI as a base. Should be a roller engine. Pull the distributor to see if it is a roller block.

The 74 would be my second choice.

I agree with Rob. Get the roller if you can. I'm pretty sure all 89's are rollers. I know a 89 318 a buddy has is a roller. If you don't get the roller the 74 would be 2nd best unless it has a bazillion miles on it and the 84 is low mileage. Some guys say their thicker castings. I don't know if that's true or not but they were made out of better material before 76 so they usually wear less.

Depends on how much hp you want to make as to what heads to go with. The 89 should have 308's on it. I've heard their good swirl port heads but I've never seen any so I can't verify that. Magnum heads are good performers but watch about used ones because they had a problem cracking between the valve seats. Then you have older J or X heads which are good performers and have the potential to flow enough to make 525-550 hp but that takes some work. If your wanting to go that high you might as well buy a new set of Eddies.

BTW: I just realized you said the 74 was out of a New Yorker? I'm nearly positive New Yorkers and Newport's only used big blocks. My grandpa had a 74 New Yorker and it had a 440. The 360 was usually only found in lower line of C bodies and trucks. You might want to check things out closer when you buy it to make sure their selling you a 360 and not a 318 cause it sounds like they have things screwed up.

Thanks guys

What differences are ther between the roller and non roller block.
Ryan

Well, the "newyorker engine should also have the center sump oil pan, where as the truck motors are going to be rear sump.

Bingo!

You'll need a center sump for the car and the 89 engine is a stock roller engine. That's nice. The '89 will also have the or should have the "308" heads on it. Very good, very good head. Ports out better than a letter head from what I'm told.

I'd go for the '89 roller engine myself. It'll have the spider and roller lifters ion there and you'll just swap in the cam of your choice/spec.

-
Back