Which 8.25 do I have?

-

Mr. PNW

Reaction score
We are swapping out the front drum brakes and rear end on our 68 slant six cuda with the 4" bolt pattern for disc brakes out of a 73 Dart with the 4.5" pattern.
We swapped the front brake parts today and it is back on some 15" stock Coronet wheels.

Our next step is to swap in a 8.25 rear end I picked up a number of years ago that also has the 4.5" bolt pattern. I know I will need a set of shock plates and 3" u-bolts. We are going to drop in some new Mopar XHD springs.

Is there a way of knowing for sure which model of vehicle this rear end came out of?
I measured between the spring perches and it looks to be about 43" center hole to hole. The measurement between the backing plate at the outer lip is about 48".

Not with it having 43" spring pad center to center. That is definitely A-bdy measurement.
I would expect that center section casting number was assembled into any of the different housing lengths, not JUST 69-70 B-bdys.

Mike in FL

So if i swap an 8.25 from a 73 dart to replace the 7.25 in a 69 barracuda (assuming all original stuff), It will be almost an inch shorter per side? Does this create any tire fitment problems?

So if i swap an 8.25 from a 73 dart to replace the 7.25 in a 69 barracuda (assuming all original stuff), It will be almost an inch shorter per side? Does this create any tire fitment problems?

I cant see where you got a inch shorter per side from the chart above. I see about 3/4 difference overall which would be 3/8 per side to the back of the backing plates but then how far the axle flange stands out could throw it either direction yet again.

OOPs my bad the chart does show 53.2 versus 51.4 What's that about 7/8 per side ?
Still axle length is a factor. The 8.25 surely has wider brakes that the 7.25

Remember the 8.25 can easily be upgraded to rear disc brakes a from a jeep grand Cherokee.

Unfortunately that chart is a POS.

43" perches says A body or an A100. If the axle flange length, where wheels bolt on, is about 57.25", it's an A body rear.

If the rear is total in the 60" range it's a B body or something else.

-
Back