Which aluminum intake and carb to use?

-
I would port them just large enough so you don't have to add material to the intake. You will probably never know the difference.

Likewise. No sense on creating a lot of work. A slightly smaller port than the head is not a bad thing. Port as deep into the runners as you can without getting stupid and thin on the walls. It’ll rock. Good carb choice.

I have seen a few builds where only the floor was matched to prevent fuel puddling and then the top and sides had an overhang left as an anti-reversion dam. Of course, fuel won’t puddle in your instance with a step off out of the port. A very good thing in these intakes. There was someone local that had a 68 valiant with a 370 inch small block and had put a w2 version of the same manifold on it. Fuel pudding was a real and serious problem... I don’t know how many of us told him to use his LD340 and 750 Holley he had to sell with the car. Guess he wanted to keep his larger than life 370 eight pack billboard stickers he had made and had just ahead of the front doors.

FWIW, port matching the ceiling and walls are the important areas to pay attention to and IF there is that horrendous of a floor mismatch that puddling creates a problem, then epoxy on the floor of the intake to match the head is the move to make.

Yep, w2 intake, regular heads, every bit as bad as it sounds. And like you stated, the intake ports being a tad smaller not a bad thing, especially on that dual four intake to keep the velocity up. I agree with not making the extra work.

My totally stock '71 318 runs an Edelbrock LD4B intake and a 1406 carburetor. I also use Lokar throttle & "kick-down" cable.

DSCN8190.JPG
DSCN8191.JPG
DSCN8193.JPG

Ive got a bone stock 1968 318, with the factory 2bbl intake and carb. Ive added a set headers and I’d like to upgrade to an aluminum intake and 4bbl carb. Any recommendations?
Nuff said!

I had a W2 strip Dominator on std 340 heads and I used epoxy to reshape the oval ports to match the heads. I had no issues other than not having anything to compare it to. Ran great. Id run a Performer and an Edelbrock on a stock cammed 318. The pistons are not dished on a 318, they are only in the hole up to ~.140 but IIRC the 68 had the best HP ratings (prior to the big net HP rating). 4bbl cast iron dual plane intakes from Mopar were all 360 sized, even the ones off a later 318-4. Dont discount the weird SP2P 4bbl intake if you have 2.76 gears. Sometimes you can find them for under $50 because every gearhead hates everything about them but truck owners know the real story: super torque under 4800 RPM.

Try not to get too caught up in all this. It's a STOCK engine. Anything with the smaller 318 size ports that's a dual plane will work great. The LD4B is a great choice, but people think they are made of gold. If it was mine, it'd have a Performer on it so quick, it'd make your head spin.

I too doubt there is any noticeable performance difference between the LD4B and the Performer on a bone stock engine with headers, it makes a huge difference over a two barrel in a very porky and fat tired ramcharger. You did say all new components, and if going new, that would be my choice, based upon personal experience and return per $ spent. I can get crusty looking used ones locally for $50.

I’m going with the performer manifold and 1405 carb as my weather is warm. May go with the Lokar cable set up. This is going in an A100.

Used Edelbrock LD4B (pricey, but worth every penny)...

opinions being what they are: It's an intake, not a museum artifact...anything > $200 for a 30 year old hunk of aluminum is highway robbery, unless it's massaged by someone who knew what the hell they were doing.

Try not to get too caught up in all this. It's a STOCK engine. Anything with the smaller 318 size ports that's a dual plane will work great. The LD4B is a great choice, but people think they are made of gold. If it was mine, it'd have a Performer on it so quick, it'd make your head spin.

THIS ^^^ all day long.

opinions being what they are: It's an intake, not a museum artifact...anything > $200 for a 30 year old hunk of aluminum is highway robbery, unless it's massaged by someone who knew what the hell they were doing.

THIS ^^^ all day long.

FREAKIN DITTO ALL DAY LONG!!!!

I agree, if it costs more than a new air gap, that is ridiculous. Being that it’s going on an A100 that will remain mostly stock, Performer all the way. That 318 street dominator single planes that Rusty is very good on a stocker, too. It’s very close to the 318 marine 4 barrel intake.

Absolutely! The low level single plane Holley has a very small plenum. At that size, it is not a bad thing. If it were larger like a normal single plane, that would be a problem.

I agree, if it costs more than a new air gap, that is ridiculous. Being that it’s going on an A100 that will remain mostly stock, Performer all the way. That 318 street dominator single planes that Rusty is very good on a stocker, too. It’s very close to the 318 marine 4 barrel intake.

A new [Edelbrock] air gap is $355 I think from Summit...a new Stealth is $260...the LD4B is a great intake, I won't take that away from it, but I've seen them priced anywhere from $175-$400 on here and that ****'s ridiculous. All too often they're dirty, been messed with, need repair or some combination thereof...and that's when I just shake my head.

Personally Id grab a cop TQ and manifold and bolt it on then work on distributor
but new?
no air gap or x manifold- stick with dual plane
AVS or similar second choice to TQ
AFB
Holly Air Valve ( have the linkage in hand if you do)
no double pumpers ( 4 speed race track stuff- mileage sucks)
port mismatch does not seem to be a big deal on street 318 with the large runner manifolds
does not make sense logically but WTF

Personally Id grab a cop TQ and manifold and bolt it on then work on distributor but new? No air gap or x manifold- stick with dual plane, AVS or similar second choice to TQ, AFB, Holly Air Valve ( have the linkage in hand if you do) no double pumpers ( 4 speed race track stuff- mileage sucks) port mismatch does not seem to be a big deal on street 318 with the large runner manifolds
This ^^^^^^^^^^
All day long!

-
Back