Which automatic

-

highflyer

Reaction score
I want to find an automatic 727 and id like to get the best one possible..if I were doing a 8 cyl dart like 67 to 69 which trans would best fit the application.. one from a small block truck or a early or late one from a van or a car or what ..any of you automatic gurus have a best..thanks ..j

A 904 out of a 70's SB car would work great and not rob HP like a 727. I raced an 11.0? SB Barracuda for 10 years with a 904. My friend has 3 A body race cars that run in the 10's with 904's. One with a low gear set (2.74 first gear) would make a great street car. A 727 might be good for 4000+ car but not an A body. LOL

A 904 out of a 70's SB car would work great and not rob HP like a 727. I raced an 11.0? SB Barracuda for 10 years with a 904. My friend has 3 A body race cars that run in the 10's with 904's. One with a low gear set (2.74 first gear) would make a great street car. A 727 might be good for 4000+ car but not an A body. LOL

oh god, not this again....highflyer, yes, a 727 is good for a v8 A body...
the only difference in the 727 will be based on what type of V8 you will be running.....SB or BB...then the housing is different.

If you take two identical cars, one with a 727 and another with a 904, the quarter mile time is absolutely miniscule ..like a 1/16 of a second..search this forum for posts on this topic...this topic it has been gone over (and over again) before..

Locally, we have a very well known MOPAR guy that owns/runs one of the best transmission repaid shops in my province..guess what he runs in his A body..

Anyway, I would buy what ever is most available/ cheapest to you..and what you are most comfortable with...

Grassy.

oh god, not this again....highflyer, yes, a 727 is good for a v8 A body...
the only difference in the 727 will be based on what type of V8 you will be running.....SB or BB...then the housing is different.

If you take two identical cars, one with a 727 and another with a 904, the quarter mile time is absolutely miniscule ..like a 1/16 of a second..search this forum for posts on this topic...this topic it has been gone over (and over again) before..

And if it's a 250HP V8????
Would you still recommend the 727?

The 727 will work great. "I" would want a later one with the part throttle kickdown on the valve body. They are a nice addition. Other than that, as long as you stay above about 1970, you will be good.

And if it's a 250HP V8????
Would you still recommend the 727?

How about this...from Chrysler:

Transmission Application Chart

Engine Type Displacement Cubic Inch Identification Marking

6 Cylinder 225 A-727-RG

8 Cylinder 318-340 A-727-A

8 Cylinder 383-426-440 A-727-B

Yup...even Ma MOPAR put the a727 behind a 225 cid 6 cylinder engine... so your answer is sure, I would put it behind his that V8...it would be bullet proof...

How about this...from Chrysler:

Transmission Application Chart

Engine Type Displacement Cubic Inch Identification Marking

6 Cylinder 225 A-727-RG

8 Cylinder 318-340 A-727-A

8 Cylinder 383-426-440 A-727-B

Yup...even Ma MOPAR put the a727 behind a 225 cid 6 cylinder engine... so your answer is sure, I would put it behind his that V8...it would be bullet proof...

Lol. 40 stinking years ago. Technology and materials have changed a bit in those 40 years.

I would go 904. Lighter and smaller. Makes it easier to put in and work around. Being faster and not really having to worry about the big heavy drum exploding and going through my foot is an added bonus. :)

Could be true :) ..but we don't know what engine he is going with, his driving style or is he going to be a burger burner, take it out to the strip or just chug around...or a bunch of other things...so for the time being , as I mentioned above, buy what ever is most available/ cheapest to him..and what he is most comfortable with...

Truth is, the 904 is in fact lighter, and can be built to handle anything like the 727, BUT the parts are more expensive then doing a 727, just look at converters, try to find a used 904 high converter. Yeah right.

He ASKED which 727 to use. He didn't ASK which one was better or lighter or which one used less power. Help answer his question or take a long walk off a short pier.

He ASKED which 727 to use. He didn't ASK which one was better or lighter or which one used less power. Help answer his question or take a long walk off a short pier.

:sign3:BWAHAH because if there is ONE person who should preach about useless posts in threads, that's you.

If you are going to get one from a truck or a van, make sure it's the long tail shaft version or you'll have to change it to work in a car.
While you are at it, get the driveshaft slip yoke, the one on a 727 is different from a 904.

Truth is, the 904 is in fact lighter, and can be built to handle anything like the 727, BUT the parts are more expensive then doing a 727, just look at converters, try to find a used 904 high converter. Yeah right.

Why would anyone think of finding/using/buying a USED 904 high stall converter, or a used converter period?

Why would anyone think of finding/using a USED 904 high converter?

Go look up prices on new High stall 904 converter then try to find a used one.

Now go look up a brand new 727 High stall converter, then go look at craigslist and see how many reasonable used high stalls are out there for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Thanks for your time :thumblef:

Why would anyone think of finding/using/buying a USED 904 high stall converter, or a used converter period?

Yep.....sure, go buy a used convertor form some clown that is just looking to score his next meth money...aka Craigslist....put said "good deal" t/c in your trans that you just spent some good $ putting together only to have your "good deal" convertor push all kinds of crap into your trans/cooler....no thanks...Not for nothing, but some of the convertors I have been looking for my car when I get to it are $1100.00.....http://circledspecialties.com/p-46-gm-245mm-pro-iii-4l80e-torque-converter.aspx

Yep.....sure, go buy a used convertor form some clown that is just looking to score his next meth money...aka Craigslist....put said "good deal" t/c in your trans that you just spent some good $ putting together only to have your "good deal" convertor push all kinds of crap into your trans/cooler....no thanks...Not for nothing, but some of the convertors I have been looking for my car when I get to it are $1100.00.....http://circledspecialties.com/p-46-gm-245mm-pro-iii-4l80e-torque-converter.aspx

Craigslist was an example, EBay FOABO so on and so on, People sell converters on here all the time, so they all crack heads too? IDK what it is with some of you guys on this forum some days..... :tongue7:

Craigslist was an example, EBay FOABO so on and so on, People sell converters on here all the time, so they all crack heads too? IDK what it is with some of you guys on this forum some days..... :tongue7:

The problem with a used converter is you don't know what you're getting. A converter is a sealed unit, and you have no way of knowing what's right or wrong with it unless it's cut open. Sure you can visually check the hub (nicely polished with 800 grit), the fresh paint job (from a rattle can), drain some of the oil out of it (nice and red, just put it in), but is the one way roller clutch just about ready to go away, how about the bearing(s) that may be inside it are they any good, are the vanes on the turbine and pump coming loose?
If it's a high stall, how do you know it's the right stall for your particular combination? I've seen enough used converters, both stock and high stall apart, to say that buying a used converter is a total waste of money.
To quote someone else on one of these threads "a used converter makes a great door stop".
You may get lucky on buying a used converter, but you're buying blind.

yes I understand all that, but I am talking about buying from a reputable source. I was using examples, and not all parts listed out there are false and lies.

The problem with a used converter is you don't know what you're getting. A converter is a sealed unit, and you have no way of knowing what's right or wrong with it unless it's cut open. Sure you can visually check the hub (nicely polished with 800 grit), the fresh paint job (from a rattle can), drain some of the oil out of it (nice and red, just put it in), but is the one way roller clutch just about ready to go away, how about the bearing(s) that may be inside it are they any good, are the vanes on the turbine and pump coming loose?
If it's a high stall, how do you know it's the right stall for your particular combination? I've seen enough used converters, both stock and high stall apart, to say that buying a used converter is a total waste of money.
To quote someone else on one of these threads "a used converter makes a great door stop".
You may get lucky on buying a used converter, but you're buying blind.

That gate swings both ways......some of you guys on this forum some days?? Honestly.....what in the hell makes YOU right? Because YOU say you are?? Ever hear of opinions?? Aint no way in hell I would put a used convertor in my car......unless it came form another one of mine.....maybe you enjoy pulling transmissions out on your back but I sure as hell don't. In the grand scheme of building a hot rod what in the hell is another few hundred bucks on a convertor? And then there is always the issue of getting one built for YOUR combination...but hey......lets all be cheap bastards and then complain when the car does not perform like it should because you saved a whole couple hundred bucks.....

Could be true :) ..but we don't know what engine he is going with
That's the exact point of my post, you don't know... For all we know the only reason he is asking about the 727 is because some clown on a forum or the clerk at Walmart told him that that's the trans he should have.
If he said what it is for and what he's doing with it, then he can get better advice and the best trans for his application mo matter which one it is.

That's the exact point of my post, you don't know... For all we know the only reason he is asking about the 727 is because some clown on a forum or the clerk at Walmart told him that that's the trans he should have.
If he said what it is for and what he's doing with it, then he can get better advice and the best trans for his application mo matter which one it is.

To quote myself again... "I may quote myself again "Anyway, I would buy what ever is most available/ cheapest to you..and what you are most comfortable with...".

-
Back