Which braided steel hose?

-

MomsDuster

Reaction score
Going to run braided steel hose from my FI tank to my throttle body. With todays pump gas having all these additives and alcohol, should I be using the ptfe braided hose or will the standard braided rubber hose be sufficient?

I work in the Auto industry R&D Dept for one of the Big3. Please use PTFE hose. Static discharge from fuel flowing thru a hose is nothing I'd risk to save a few dollars. Just my $0.02 worth.

I work in the Auto industry R&D Dept for one of the Big3. Please use PTFE hose. Static discharge from fuel flowing thru a hose is nothing I'd risk to save a few dollars. Just my $0.02 worth.

I think PTFE is a much better choice regarding compatibility issues.
I wouldn't get to excited about static build up, in general there are 2 criteria to consider, for many years we have considered line velocity below 27 ft/sec to be acceptable in aircraft fuel lines.
A new criteria is V/D less than .5, when V is velocity in meters per second and D is the line diameter in meters.
Discharge into a tank should be at less than 1 meter per second. Of course to get a static discharge you need a spark gap and an air / fuel explosive mix which is not possible in a fuel line which is filled with fuel.
Now for a 3/8 line flowing 1gpm the velocity is about 3ft /sec. So no issue even if returning fuel to tank assuming you can burn 60 gallons an hour. I am astounded when I see some tanks where fuel is just dumped in at the top of the tank rather than thru a diffuser at the tank bottom, a true recipe for disaster
My 2 cents worth.

I have regular summit brand braided hose, so does my dad, so does my uncle, so does a few of my buddies, and no problems to speak of....my uncle even runs methanol through the cheap braided hose, been about 5 years now and it still looks new inside and out.

Go to xrp.com they have some good information on different types of hose. They also have a decent selection of hose and fittings

I have regular summit brand braided hose, so does my dad, so does my uncle, so does a few of my buddies, and no problems to speak of....my uncle even runs methanol through the cheap braided hose, been about 5 years now and it still looks new inside and out.

I think the hose on the 71 Dart is 10 yrs old...just plain steel braided line....been running e85 for the last 5 yrs....i think..

I think the hose on the 71 Dart is 10 yrs old...just plain steel braided line....been running e85 for the last 5 yrs....i think..
You guys might be living on borrowed time. It all depends on what type of rubber they are made with. The problem also gets a lot worse with the high pressures of EFI, which I'm not sure you are running or not. If you ever find even one small bit of rubber in the fuel filter, it's really time to get worried.

-
Back