Which calipers should I get?

-

scamperly

Reaction score
I have a bad caliper so I'm going to replace both. Out of my options, which should I order?

Or, suggest me somewhere better. Car is not being raced, just a good ol' daily driver. I need something reliable for daily use.
rockauto.jpg

Also, since I've ruined my brakes, which of these should I get:

Should I get centric, bendix, or wagner front rotors?

And should I get centric, bendix, or raybestos brake pads? (metallic, ceramic, or "organic" respectively)

This is hard to say since alot of the choiuce is a personal thing. Better may not be exactly better for you. Heres how I see it;

Organic pads wear quickly but seem to cause less damage than a metalic pad which wears longer and stops better since it bites the disc better. They eat the disc up more because of this. The ceramic's I have yet to have an issue with and not yet worn out. They seem OK so far.

On a manufacturer of a part, new is perfect, if you can get new on a old part.
I have no problem with the maker of the braking systems pads. Example is a bendex brake pad with a bendex set up. Wagner has been good to me in the past as well as the raybestos stuff. Which I thought wore out quickly.

For just a pleasure driver, IMO, Organic pads are fine.
For a daily driver that see traffic and Hwy. driving, I like the semi metalics.

Ceramics? The jury is still out, though, so far, I think them good.

In general, I agree with Rumblefish & his recommendations. I've had good experiences with Wagner, Raybestos, & Bendix products.

I disagree in part on his pad recommendations although the reasons he states are correct. Organic linings don't dissipate heat as well as semi-metallic. They tend to be a little softer, so I recommend them with un-assisted brakes. Semi-metallics are recommended with power brakes.

My personal favorites are Performance Friction Carbon Metallic. On un-assisted brakes these require a little leg, especially when cold. These are harder on the rotor than all of the above.

My only experience with ceramic brakes were on a Gulfstream G-III. Very expensive but very effective. After we became aware of how much better the brakes performed, we started flying into shorter fields. This caused them to wear out sooner. We noted much greater wear on the rotor than with carbon brakes we had been using.

Anything from Centric is very good quality.

The premium rotors are corrosion treated and have a slightly better grade of metal composite and quality control, so that run-out will be spot on.

The Centric calipers have been available at significant discounts, in the area of $60 / each. Take a look at the Rock Auto discount code.

I replaced the 2.6"-bore '73-'75 calipers on my '73 Dart with 2.75"-bore '76 calipers and put in Bendix "Fleet Metlock" pads, and I am very happy with the upgraded braking performance and feel.

-
Back