Which clutch and PP?

-

67_Slimer

Real Hot Rods don't shift themselves.
Reaction score
I have a 67 dart , 340 pretty well built high 11 second street car. Not raced anymore but not saying ill never go to the track again. It has a 23 spline with a centerforce 2 PP and a RAM paddle disc , A dana 60 out back with 4.56s. The car hits way too hard and I am tired of breaking parts when I powershift on the street. I'm looking into buying an 18 spline from Brewers but I'm told by them that clutch setup is way too violent. Any recommendations on a clutch disc and PP? Again , looking for something durable but not overly aggressive. Again street driven car and might go to the track once on nostalgia day but still want to rip gears on the street. Is the 18 spline overkill? I'm looking to do this once and not have to worry like I do now. Thank you!!

If Brewer's told you your clutch was too harsh, I would have at least asked them what they would recommend as long as I had them on the phone- they've seen more different four speed setups than the rest of us combined.

Is the PP diaphragm or B&B? (edit- just noticed it's Centerforce, so diaphragm).

I would swap out the paddle for a Ram style dual friction disc, which will have far better street manners and be much easier on the drivetrain. I would also take the weights off the CF pressure plate. That will take capacity back to a more reasonable 650ftlbs instead of the current waaay overkill 800ftlbs with the paddle.

Grant

Last edited:
I have a modest 367, that by it's trap-speed in the Eighth is putting out 430 hp.
I have the 1x23 Commando 3.09 low trans and 3.55 gears, that takes off with a starter gear of 10.97. and NO traction aides.
I also ran the CenterForce II setup, but found the disc way too aggressive, and like you it broke stuff behind it, everything broke from the trans input, to u-joints to the ring and pinion; with cheapazz BFG 295/50-15s And
It barked the tires hard-over going into third gear at 85mph.

Ok, so Here's what I did;
1) I swapped out the hardly used CFII disc, for a factory 340 disk; Halleluyah, what a difference.
2) but my engine kept tearing the hubs apart, pretty regularly; either spitting out springs, or fracturing the hubs, or tearing off the riveted linings,.. so
I got under the car, and loosened the PP off the flywheel, and one by one, installed large diameter small-holed washers between the PP and the flywheel, about 080, IIRC. Then torqued it all up. This provided enough slippage at low rpm , that I can almost just dump the clutch at idle and drive away. Yet by 3000 or so, she is all locked up by the flyweights. She doesn't bark the tires anymore on the 2-3 shift, but she still pulls off a 93 MPH Eighth.
And the 340 discs last at least one summer.
As I get older, they are lasting longer, I think the last one is like 5 years old, which is good, cuz I'm 71 now and gone are the days of dropping the trans in 17 minutes.
3) but I don't powershift. My left leg can still stab that pedal pretty quick, and I can be pretty far outside the preferred departure window, cuz Second and Third gears have been "slick-shifted". I can and regularly do, overpower the brass rings, and just slam it over, before the brass even knows what happened.

Now; far beitfrom me to tell you what you should do.
I'm just telling you what I did.
For street use, cheap and easy, is to reduce your clampload, little by little, until you can live with the current disc, or until it slips too much. I lucked out with 080 being just right.
BTW-1
I have never lost a 340 disc to overheat, and since 1999 when I first finished screwing this car together and driving it, I have never had the flywheel resurfaced; and IMO, that CFII PP has been very good to me.
BTW-2
My engine has seen three cams, and the cylinder pressure has varied from a high of 195 to a low of ~185..... just so you know. Oh and, with closed-chamber alloy heads she is happy to burn 87E10 full time.
BTW-3
driving around town at part throttle is now a pleasure, with no more neck-snapping shifts.
Generally, I might shift at 2800, cuz the engine is just coming up on the cam, and starting to sing. It drops into Second at 1750@20mph, then climbs softly to 2800@33, then to 2800@45, then to 2800@ 63, then into overdrive, for 65=2240.. It's a pleasant pull with the cam waffling from 2000 to 2800, a lovely melody out the dual 3" pipes. and a nice soft shift into each next gear.
But when I shift from Second at 7200, coming into Third at 5200;
hang the heck on, cuz that shift will want to rip the fillings out of your teeth and ram them down your throat, lol; Bloody hell ! ......... lol

Last edited:
-
Back